• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Empi Uchi: Elbow Strikes

sensei8

I placed this topic/thread in the "Karate" forum here at KF, and not in the "General Martial Arts" forum because I'm speaking mainly from being a karateka my entire martial arts career.

Empi Uchi: Elbow strikes are quite a vital technique in the arsenal of the martial arts, not just Karate, but practically every style of the martial arts benefits from its variety across the board.

MMA has brought this devastating weapon back into the forefront with some very effective KO's inside the octagon. I find it very difficult to find anyone who'd deny the amount of inflicted damage a well placed elbow strike can do to a downed opponent.

Having said that, an elbow by its nature can inflict an undeniable amount of force and damage to any target while standing. Many properties are incorporated in a well executed elbow strike from a standing position.

Here are some of the Empi Uchi [Elbow Strike] techniques that are part of the Shindokan curriculum:

>Age Empi: Rising elbow strike

>Empi Uchi: Elbow strike

>Mae Mawashi Empi Uchi: Augmented side elbow strike

>Mawashi Empi: Hook elbow strike

>Sokumen Empi Uchi: Augmented elbow strike

>Ushiro Empi: Back elbow strike

>Yoko Empi: Side elbow strike

>Oroshi Hiji Ate: Downwards elbow strike

In Shindokan, spinning techniques can be initiated in many of our elbow strikes to compliment our Tuite, and other close range techniques, not only to strike offensive targets, but defensive targets as well to arrest, deflect, and/or to intercept advancing techniques of our opponent(s).

Using each and every one of these Elbow strikes requires arm muscles to effectively execute. Weight training plays a major part of a Shindokan's training to build up ones arm muscles. Push ups, pull ups, and cable pulls are some of the training regimes a Shindokan practitioner would be involved in, both at the dojo as well as at home. And let us not forget, beating the dickens out of ones heavy hanging bag is a crucial tool for developing arm muscles and the like to bring to fruition one powerful elbow strike that can't be argued nor denied.

Let's also not forget the importance of leg muscles and back muscles lending their help to generate a powerful elbow strike. Then, having a strong stance as well as a solid posture aides into generating a powerful elbow strike. It's the feet connected to the knee bone and the knee bone connected to the leg bone and the leg bone connected to the hip bone and the hip bone connected to the back bone and the back bone connected to the shoulder bone and the shoulder bone connected to the arm bond and the arm bone connected to the elbow bone and the elbow bone connected to the target, or something like that...and smash...smash....smash!!

However, while arm muscles are important, they aren't enough to get the job done on its own. No...HIPS are, imho, the most critical element/component to having a crushing elbow strike...all arm and no hip means that ones pushing more than penetrating, and one must penetrate with every single human weapon. Relax the arms, let them swing naturally from the hips...POW...POW...POW!!

Let our discussions begin....

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elbow strikes do seem powerful. I'm afraid to use them on a live sparring partner though!

But yes, I do practice them sometimes on the bag. I do push-ups and want to start weight training. And hips, yes! Hips add a lot of power. Especially if you have a lot of mass behind them.

Elbows are devastating for blocks, too. So devastating!

OSU!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

I try to use more forearm than actual elbow when doing an elbow strike. I've actually knocked out my randori partner once in a judo session by accident.

On the other hand, I've also been able to give my self a black eye when I accidentally punched myself in the face while executing an upward elbow strike. (Don't snicker, you've all done it before).

Not particularly proud of either circumstances.

I like elbow strikes. We do several of them in our one-steps, when we are close to the opponent. In Combat Hapkido, we also made good use of them, always being in grabbing range. They are common for distraction techniques there.

Good hip movement makes for a good elbow strike, allowing the whole of the body to be in the strike.

I like elbow strikes. We do several of them in our one-steps, when we are close to the opponent. In Combat Hapkido, we also made good use of them, always being in grabbing range. They are common for distraction techniques there.

Good hip movement makes for a good elbow strike, allowing the whole of the body to be in the strike.

Using an elbow to break uke's balance before a throw is interesting isn't it? It's so tempting that I suspect that Judo referees are instructed to look for the infraction during competition.

Yes, they are. I've also been able to implement elbow strikes along with a takedown; swinging the elbow up over for an armbar...the face is right there, anyways...

• 4 weeks later...

For safety sake, I hope we don't see many of the quite devastating techniques of the martial arts in venues as Strikeforce, the UFC, and the like.

Sometimes in my opinion, referees and the like don't intervene quite fast enough, and I understand why they wait, in the hopes that the fighter will be able to fight out of a doomed situation, but any delay to stop the fight can just add to some serious and fatal outcomes.

It's a fine line to gamble with, imho.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Well at the rate we're going, with elbows and knees legalized, UFC is becoming less geared towards BJJ practitioners and other floor grapplers and becoming a more well-rounded style. Not that it would ever be completely balanced since in a real fight, a quick, accurate snap kick to the groin would probably mean the end. I mean if they didn't allow these types of devastating strikes, we'd mostly be seeing jujitsu fighters vs. jujitsu fighters without much diversity at all. I suppose I can understand why they allowed it; but, as you said, it does become a pretty dangerous "sport" at that point.