• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jodan / high kick practice

koeny33

Dear karateka's,

I've recently started with Shotokan Karate lessons together with a friend, and have had about 10 lessons by now. As I'm 16 years old, I'm not very flexible and have problems with kicks higher than Chudan. Is there a way to practice getting more flexible (I can't do a split, which is normal I reckon because of my lack of training etc), are there any things to train that? Stretching maybe, what kind of exercises?

Kind regards,

Koen S

PS, Sorry for my bad english - I'm from Holland, and English is of course not my native language :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The stretches I did in my normal class warm up worked well. I also would put my foot on a partner's shoulder while they were squatting, then have them slowly stand up

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

if you have a window sill (sorry not too sure of the American equivalent) at waist height, this is something you could work with outside class, after warming your muscles, get your legs up and bend the standing knee trying to get your head to your stretching leg's knee

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Research dynamic stretching. Throwing a high kick is very differently from a stretched position where you're not moving. Dynamic stretching helped me get from kicking just at chudan/middle level to now being able to throw a decent kakato geri/axe kick.

Kicking high isn't just about the flexibility. You need strength too. Besides you're better off concentrating on lower kicks and getting the technique right before trying to kick high section.

However, check out: http://www.trickstutorials.com/content/flexibility

Its aimed at tricking and XMA but is pretty comprehensive in explaining stretching and lots of stretches to try out. :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Dear karateka's,

I've recently started with Shotokan Karate lessons together with a friend, and have had about 10 lessons by now. As I'm 16 years old, I'm not very flexible and have problems with kicks higher than Chudan. Is there a way to practice getting more flexible (I can't do a split, which is normal I reckon because of my lack of training etc), are there any things to train that? Stretching maybe, what kind of exercises?

Kind regards,

Koen S

PS, Sorry for my bad english - I'm from Holland, and English is of course not my native language :D

You need to:

(1) stretch your hips and lower back out as well as your legs. Splits are nice. But there is alot of hip muscles involved in actual kicking. You can stretch these hip muscles out practing the stances. Do it slow. And do it a little lower than normal.

(2) take it easy. You have had only 10 lessons. :D

Dear karateka's,

Totally agree with this statement!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Dear karateka's,

Kind regards,

Koen S

You need to:

(1) stretch your hips and lower back out as well as your legs. Splits are nice. But there is alot of hip muscles involved in actual kicking. You can stretch these hip muscles out practing the stances. Do it slow. And do it a little lower than normal.

Kicking high isn't just about the flexibility. You need strength too.

All good advise. You can build strength in those kicking muscles by using the wall or a chair for balance, and doing slow kicks and locking them out for a few seconds, then pulling them back to the chamber position. Repeat for 5 reps, about 5 seconds out, hold 5 seconds, and 5 seconds back. Weight training with the legs is also beneficial, especially the squat.

Higher level kicks come with time. With deligent practice, you will get there.