• 1 year later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gandhi, you should see it when you boot the computer before OS starts, normaly 'Delete' or "F10" or "Ctrl+S" .

I found this software "net transport" very useful, have you seen sometimes you clik on a media file and they take you directly to windows media player and won't let you download (save as) the actual file, this software(free) can help you to download the actual media file.

Ok problem solved, I had mistaken the Del key above the intro key

with the other Del key in the special features key block above the arrow keys.

Understand my situation please I am starting to present Alzheimers symptoms.

Ok next question.

Can I reinstall all the windows xp files leaving all my downloaded data intact,

I have one hard disk with a double partition, quite a few of my device drivers have been screwed up.

Thanks in advance.

Peace = happiness = enlightenment = meditation

Paz = felicidad = iluminación =meditación

Kingdom´s Coming

Ok next question.

I have one hard disk with a double partition, quite a few of my device drivers have been screwed up.

Thanks in advance.

Move the data you don't want to lose to the second partition then reinstall windows. It will prompt you to specify the partition to which you want to make the install. That partiton will be formatted, the other will be left intact.

How did you screw up your drivers? :-?

Otherwise...

Service pack 2: Different opinions out there, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's not worth the hassle. The boot up time is longer, the processing time is longer, overall it doesn't exactly boost up the performance of your comp. And the new security center, well, it messes things up. You just don't need it if you have a good utility, something like Norton System Works from Symantec. I would hold off the SP2, until Microsoft clears the bugs..

Somebody advised cleaning your internet cache every 3 months or so. If you browse pages with lots of graphic content you need to do that a lot more often than that. Personally, I completly delete all cookies, temp internet files, history and empty the recycle bin every day before I shut down the system. Save interesting sites in favourites, don't blog your comp with unneccesary data.

With time - and it doesn't matter how well you treat your comp - it will get slow. Defragmenting data and optimizing the performance helps, but you'll notice that more and more data becomes unmovable and scattered around the disk. So when it gets painfully slow, back up your data, format the disk and reinstall windows. :)

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Ok next question.

Thanks in advance.

Move the data you don't want to lose to the second partition then reinstall windows. It will prompt you to specify the partition to which you want to make the install. That partiton will be formatted, the other will be left intact.

How did you * up your drivers? :-?

I don´t think Windows xp could do that. Would I have to get another program?, How could I move data from one partition to the other, install windows on both and manually transfer on diskettes?Elaborate on that please.Calling computer boffins!!!!!

I was experimenting with my box and weird things started to happen..................

Kingdom´s Coming

This is no joke,

I am having severe bootup problems, the screen freezes, the mouse pointer is moving sideways at will,it constantly restarts.My processor fan has stopped.

I think it must be something about the ROM bios settings, it says something about disabling the CMOS jumper in the manual for boot up problems, if anyone can help or knows a good online resource please let me know. FAST PLEASE!!!!:-?

I need a 0 to 100 system check up.

Thanks again.

Kingdom´s Coming

You should find what you're looking for here (lots of useful links and "how to"): http://labmice.techtarget.com/windowsxp/Backup/default.htm

To access the Recovery Console:

Press F8 after rebooting the PC should Windows freeze while booting up. You can select "Last Known Good Configuration" after rebooting to allow the computer to boot the last backed up files. And you can choose "Safe Mode" to remove any files you know caused the operating system to hang up.

To run the Recovery Console from CD, boot with the Windows XP CD (or with the optional 6 floppy disk set) and select "R" at the Welcome Screen.

If nothing works, try taking it to a professional. And next time, "before experimenting with your box" make a system restore point and backups of your data... :roll: Otherwise, you will :bawling:

If you somehow manage to boot up your system and access your data, copy it to a cd or to the other partition (no you don't need another program for that) and make a new install:

You've said you have to two partitons on your hard disk.

Windows is installed only on one partition.

Insert WindowsXP cd and reboot.

You will get a promt that will ask you to press any key to boot from cd

If this doesn't work, restart again and enter bios (hit [del] when it prompts you). Look for boot options and set cd-rom as your primary boot device. Save changes and exit bios. If you accidentally make any other changes - exit without saving and try again.

When you boot from cd, you will enter a dos based utility. Nothing fancy but it's simple, so you should be able to figure it out. Here're links with screenshots you will see during the install procedure (however keep in mind you don't want to format your disk completly, follow the instructions and take your time):

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPPro/installxppro1.htm

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/installxpcdoldhdd/index.htm

Setup will display your hard drive configuration information. You should see two partitions on the list. Choose the partition on which you want to install windows.

Once you're done, files will be copied and at some point it will reboot. When installation is complete, don't forget to again change your bios settings (primary boot device would then be HDD 0) and before you start downloading drivers and stuff - install an antivirus program.

Here's another link with tips on how to install: http://windows.radified.com/

For more questions you can send me a pm.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Thank you for your help,

I think these annoyances were all due to one simple thing,

everything seems to be working again after I changed the processor´s fan

So here is my tip.

Never keep your processor running without proper cooling, it gets very very hot and problems begin to arise.

Kingdom´s Coming