• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When in Rome...

Haha, I'm glad! You're passed the sense of humor test- you are welcome to come to open sparring anytime! Though you already were anyway. ;}

I loved that game when I was a kid, by the way.

Man, I am feeling my age a bit. Heh.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She most definitely failed the "leave your ego at the door" portion of the agreement. Nothing you said seems to be out of line for the environment and I'm sorry your friend was offended but she either didn't understand the rules or is very, very entrenched in formality.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Who cares about Rome? This is America. It's our Constitutional right to speak out of turn. I say reevaluate the friendship with a heavy dose of retro McCarthyism. Given her opinions of social status, I suspect she's a Tory Loyalist.

God that made me laugh!

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

First of all, I don't think she has learned the rules of respect yet. Respect is something you must earn, not inherit, not rank into, not demand. If you feel like you are being disrespected (even though in this case she wasn't being disrespected by you imo), instead of complaining about it, rise to the challenge and do your best to perform admirably!

As for her opinion that lower ranks can't correct higher ranks in general, well, my sensei is a 9th dan, and has been training for over 60 years. He tells us that there are valuable things he learns from 8kyu students all the time. In his words "Without exception, we all have something to teach each other."

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

I would have put her with my 3rd Kyu Female and told her to "Destroy" her legs!!! It wouldn't be the first time she's "humbled" a Nidan ShotoKan

When I visit Other Clubs I always consider even the White belts with the respect THEY deserve in THEIR club!!!

I would have been disappointed in someone who I had considered a "friend" to have done this to me.

Never mind we know what Cyndi Lauper said about "True Colours" lol

OSU!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Ego is such a difficult thing to set aside. That's exactly what she needs to do. Rather, she should see you're a friend who was giving advice to the best of your ability. I would guess your advice was good and she didn't think of it. That's a difficult pill to swallow and is the primary reason why I left karate. There are too many egos. People would rather walk around with oversized, multicolored belts than actually prove what they know and share knowledge willingly.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

OSU, I think we hit each other too hard to worry too much about ego in my dojo, lol! That's not to say it doesn't happen... but it's discouraged. :}

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Ego is such a difficult thing to set aside. That's exactly what she needs to do. Rather, she should see you're a friend who was giving advice to the best of your ability. I would guess your advice was good and she didn't think of it. That's a difficult pill to swallow and is the primary reason why I left karate. There are too many egos. People would rather walk around with oversized, multicolored belts than actually prove what they know and share knowledge willingly.

I had a long conversation tonight with an orange belt of ours about ego. He is a senior in highschool and one of his friends is also in our system as a white belt. He gets frustrated when his friend goes to school and brags about what he did at class last night. I explained to him that he is a very humble person and his friend has quite a bit more of an ego than he does.

I also explained to him that ego is something that will get one into trouble in life sooner or later. I may be ego that will not allow you to walk away from a fight that may turn into a jail stay, or worse. Its ego that doesn't allow you to tap out and in turn get your arm destroyed in the cage. It is ego that a human characteristic that can be as destructive as greed and avarice.

This particular student(the white belt) has not had the easiest life and i think looks for acceptance in certain places where he shouldn't, but i plan on having a long talk with him about ego and how it can affect the choices that you make that can change your life.

Can't hurt to talk to him, but I think he'll pick up on it the longer he stays with us.

Absoulutely, is it odd that i think discipline can only be attained through savage beatings?????