• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When in Rome...

Humility is such an important part of the arts. I feel bad for her that she couldn't just come to your dojo and enjoy communing with other martial artist. I would let it drop... maybe take the high road and apologize, explain that you meant no offense. Ego and insecurity are often intertwined. Maybe this is an opportunity for you to lead by example and humble yourself to her.

In this situation one of you is acting like a black belt and the other is not. The actions and belt colors aren't matching up. :)

The mission of my blog is to explore the connection between the skills learned in the dojo as a student of the martial arts and the skills that lead to a successful life. https://www.lifeskillsfromthedojo.com

https://www.facebook.com/lifeskillsfromthedojo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha true! Well, if she insists I'll go for it. But I'm betting you she doesn't have the stones for it at any rate. If she did, she wouldn't have had somebody else tell me all this stuff with her sitting back and nodding and saying they spoke for her...

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

I guess, playing devil's advocate, it may have been a little embarrassing coming into a new dojo as a nidan where nobody knows you, and having an underbelt correct you. I don't think it was handled well, mind you, but I can see where it could be embarrassing. We can say "egos are checked at the door" all we want, but until the comfort zone is there, its still human nature.

I see your angle here, but it didn't sound like corrections to me. It sounded just like some friendly coaching. Really nothing to get worked up over, in my opinion. Especially by a friend.

I'm not necessarily saying that she had reason to get worked up, but understanding why she did is important, imo. Without a "why," you're just dealing with a d-bag. ;)

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

I guess, playing devil's advocate, it may have been a little embarrassing coming into a new dojo as a nidan where nobody knows you, and having an underbelt correct you. I don't think it was handled well, mind you, but I can see where it could be embarrassing. We can say "egos are checked at the door" all we want, but until the comfort zone is there, its still human nature.

Although I agree that this nidan's attitude was wrong and she definitely was disrespectful to her hosts, I can see where Wolverine is coming from in that she's either embarrassed or a little annoyed at someone lower in rank correcting. I can put my hand up and say that it really winds me up when people correct me sometimes. Our school has a similar feel with the shouting out and encouraging when sparring. I'll take advice and criticism from almost everyone but cannot stand it when someone who doesn't have a clue suggests something that clearly wont work. Not to say that you were evergrey, just maybe she had some preconceptions and thought that since you were a lower grade you didn't know what you were talking about. In my case usually its either a parent who trained "back in the day" long before dinosaurs roamed the earth, or a parent who has watched their child's class for a couple of years but has never had any mat time.

I'd advise just leaving her be. If she doesn't want your help, don't bother giving it to her and don't get into a needless fight.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius