• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate specific gym workouts

shinobitribe

I tend to agree with JusticeZero on moving backwards. It is generally not good. Moving forward at an angle while defending is much better.

Snowbat: do some research into the GOMAD diet, if you are interested in gaining some weight and muscle mass.

It's a very gutsy move though. Very effective once you get inside, but you can get punished pretty bad if you don't keep your guard up. I personally do it a LOT. I've also been on the receiving end of a misplaced headshot because of my movements ie. they put their arm up expecting you to go for the head and you catch an elbow to the eye or getting inside a mawashi geri and taking a headbutt because they leaned forward after kicking. Most of the time I get hit while moving inside it's accidental on their part, but if that were to happen on the street, that could spell out disaster since a lot of times undisciplined fighters will just randomly throw everything they got at you with no real direction. I personally think the best thing to do in an actual confrontation is to just make sure you hit your opponent first. Typically speaking, when a guy is trying to beat you down, they're not gonna lead with a short move like a jab unless they have some kind of experience with boxing or something. It really depends on the situation I suppose. Typically speaking (at least for someone my size) it's best to move inside as quickly as possible but there are times that it's something you do not want to do (especially against people who excel in close quarters like clinchers or grapplers).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, once you start fighting, unless you have a spear or a gun or something, you are in close-quarters. Why deny that? I tell that to my students when doing Combat Hapkido. If you're already close, why try to run? Use the closeness and bring the pain. Finish, then back away, when its safe.

Right. You already know where they're going to go - forward into you. So go sideways and new angles opens up. I suppose I can't argue too much with the theory that if you back up, it lets them build up a head of steam of energy for you to hit them with, but you still have to be aware of the environment to do that.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I have found that doing exercises explosively for 30 to 60 seconds is the best way to do stuff. for example, 30 seconds of an explosive tricep workout such as diamond pushups or tricepe xtensions, and then immediately going to 30 seconds of explosive leg extensions.

this way, you get muscular endurance, and since your lifting explosively, also getting explosiveness. just like doing 30 seconds of DB/BB Curls and then doing 30 seconds hamstring curls.

"Karate doesnt teach me to fight, it teaches me to solve my problems. Physically, mentally, and spiritually."