shinobitribe

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go Swimming!! More specificaly, try to do resistance exercises in a Swiming pool, punches/kicks/blocks. Believe me, they work and you WILL feel it!

''Board's..........don't hit back'' The late and very great Bruce Lee, in the movie Enter The Dragon.

Go Swimming!! More specificaly, try to do resistance exercises in a Swiming pool, punches/kicks/blocks. Believe me, they work and you WILL feel it!

Totally agree!

I learned how to do jumping kicks in the pool!

OSU!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Strength training for MA. I like to concentrate on the core. A lot of power comes from the core, such as the abs, obliques and glutes. If you are solid there you are much stronger all around. If looking for a place to start I would start there. You can work on the beach muscles later.

Core is the key for me - after a car crash back injury I was advised by a highly respected senior instructor in our club to find a pilates class, and he was 100% spot on. Once the core strength and balance is there, any workout you do will be more effective.

Also agree avoid the bikes!!

OSU, if you want to improve punching power and stability, one thing you do requires nothing more than floor space... get into push-up position, but instead of having your hands flat, balance on the first two knuckles on each hand- the knuckles you strike with when you punch. Have your hands shoulder-width apart. Then do push-ups, but keep your elbows in so they rub your sides. Stronger wrists and stronger triceps... you can do them slowly, and you can also push yourself up fast to work that explosive punching power a bit.

Yes it hurts a lot at first, haha!

It's worth it.

OSU

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Anything which doesn't increase BULK is good for you. So if the exercise Shortens Tendens or buts too much muscle on this will slow you down or decrease your flexibility.

There are a few books on Amazon which are specified for a Martial Artists work out

Failing that light weights more repititions!!!

These are not true. I lift heavy weights at the gym, and my TKD does not suffer. Heavy lifts will not "shorten" tendons. Lifting heavy weights moves the weight through the complete range of motion of the joint.

Increase in muscle size does not equal a decrease in flexibility. Lack of stretching equals a decrease in flexibility.

Also, if you train with heavy weights properly, they do not make you slow. Take the bench press for example. Its not a "slow" lift. It appears slow at higher weights because the lifter is working closer to his current potential (if he's doing it right). If you see the same person bench press at around 60% or 70% of his max, you'll see him moving the weight faster.

"Bulking" only happens when you increase your caloric intake in an attempt to gain muscle mass. Bodybuilders take in a bunch of protein and calories to maintain their builds. Powerlifters will do similar things. But remember, power lifting and Olympic lifting are weight-classed sports, so its not just big people who are strong.

Here is a link to a female power lifter: http://www.132poundsofpower.com/

Would you classify her as bulky?

• 3 weeks later...