• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate specific gym workouts

shinobitribe

Anything which doesn't increase BULK is good for you. So if the exercise Shortens Tendens or buts too much muscle on this will slow you down or decrease your flexibility.

There are a few books on Amazon which are specified for a Martial Artists work out

Failing that light weights more repititions!!!

These are not true. I lift heavy weights at the gym, and my TKD does not suffer. Heavy lifts will not "shorten" tendons. Lifting heavy weights moves the weight through the complete range of motion of the joint.

Increase in muscle size does not equal a decrease in flexibility. Lack of stretching equals a decrease in flexibility.

Also, if you train with heavy weights properly, they do not make you slow. Take the bench press for example. Its not a "slow" lift. It appears slow at higher weights because the lifter is working closer to his current potential (if he's doing it right). If you see the same person bench press at around 60% or 70% of his max, you'll see him moving the weight faster.

"Bulking" only happens when you increase your caloric intake in an attempt to gain muscle mass. Bodybuilders take in a bunch of protein and calories to maintain their builds. Powerlifters will do similar things. But remember, power lifting and Olympic lifting are weight-classed sports, so its not just big people who are strong.

Here is a link to a female power lifter: http://www.132poundsofpower.com/

Would you classify her as bulky?

This is spot on. Now, I am naturally a bulky person. My training also consists mostly of lifting weights, striking trees, and practicing poomsae, all with the goal of increasing power. However, I am also able to do a full 180 degree split and place my chest flat on the floor. Even though I have gained twenty pounds of muscle over the last few months (I'm currently 6'2", 240 lbs), my flexibility has actually improved. The typically bulky athletes such as football players and body builders are not inflexible because of their muscles mass, they are inflexible because they do not stretch adequately.

"I have mastered the greatest technique of all: Being much bigger than my opponent."

"The hammer fist solves EVERYTHING!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right MP-those ARE cool exercises! I shall be speaking to my Sensei in the very near future, to see if we can incorporate them into our warm up, and if not then i will try them at home--thank you for that!

''Board's..........don't hit back'' The late and very great Bruce Lee, in the movie Enter The Dragon.

Anything which doesn't increase BULK is good for you. So if the exercise Shortens Tendens or buts too much muscle on this will slow you down or decrease your flexibility.

Actually that's not very true at all. This is an old myth. With proper strength training you can actually greatly increase both your speed and flexibility.

Actually that's not very true at all. This is an old myth. With proper strength training you can actually greatly increase both your speed and flexibility.

Do you mean Mr Miyagi was wrong!!!

My whole life ethos has been destroyed

:-?

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Anything which doesn't increase BULK is good for you. So if the exercise Shortens Tendens or puts too much muscle on this will slow you down or decrease your flexibility.

There are a few books on Amazon which are specified for a Martial Artists work out

Failing that light weights more repititions!!!

These are not true...........

The typically bulky athletes such as football players and body builders are not inflexible because of their muscles mass, they are inflexible because they do not stretch adequately.

Becoming more streamline increasing body mass which is in fitting with your training etc I agree doesn't make much difference it may even enhance techniques/flexibilty but I'm talking about extremists who want to look like Arnie or American F/ballers or Long Distance Cyclists etc.

Weights more small weights high reps as opposed to large weights small reps. Cycling anything but long distance.

Pilates, Aerobic Kick/Box Classes, Yoga and Zumba Classes are the best but the Ultimate work Out in Chuck Norris' "Total Gym XLI" I got 1 it an excellent clothes horse!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

There is so much you can do to enhance your training for karate. In my opinion, it really should be done with a plan over a year. You need to peak around tests or competitions and plan out cycles of training with specific goals and timelines.

There are literally hundreds of different ways you can supplement your training, from sprints to plyometrics. For pure strength training, I typically avoid weight machines and focus on heavy compound lifts with barbells such as the squat, deadlift, benchpress and pull-ups. I took my CMMACC certification course to better understand how to train for martial arts. If any of you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me. I could talk for hours about training for martial arts.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

My weight routine, laid out by Sensei:

Warm up with light kihon, kata, and stretching (each workout)

Monday - Legs & lower abdomen

4x40 Bench Press

4x40 Preacher Curls

4x40 Rows

4x40 Leg Press

4x40 Leg Curls

4x40 Leg Extensions

4x40 Hip Flexor machine (push outwards with legs)

4x40 thigh squeeze machine (pull inwards with legs)

10x10 slow Yoko geri

4x40 Other exercise machine dealing with legs (just to add variety)

Wednesday - Core

4x40 Bench Press

4X40 Preacher Curls

4x40 Rows

4x40 ab machine (seated bend forward)

4x40 reverse ab machine (seated lean back)

4x40 sideways crunches

4x40 standard crunches

10x10second Planks

4x40 Other abdominal exercise (for variety)

10x10 slow Mawashi geri

Friday - Upper body

4x40 Bench Press

4x40 Preacher Curls

4x40 Rows

4x40 dumbell Shrugs

4x40 butterfly machine (seated pectoral)

30 push ups

4x40 cable punches

4x40 dumbell flys

4x40 dumbell bent over fly

4x40 dumbell tricep extensions

4x40 Dip machine

4x40 Other upper body exercise (for variety)

10x10 Slow Mae geri

After workout routine (each workout) This is to allow for a cool down, and stretching

1 minute punches (light and easy - just throw them out there with no power)

1 minute of that days kicks (light and easy - just throw them out there with no power)

Dynamic stretching

Static stretching

... I'm gonna die, hahaha!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.