• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's your choice...

WolverineGuy

of Gi? I've got a blue Atama Gold Weave. Its a little restrictive in the shoulders IMO. Maybe I need a bigger size, or is that common?

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have the Atama Gold Weave pants, but my top is a G1000 Gameness Elite. The shoulders are easily the snuggest portion on all of mine, but my shoulders are somewhat enormous. Tallgeese can probably testify as to what they're supposed to be like for regular shaped people.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

I really like Fuji brand gi. They are rather inexpensive and hold up every bit as well as ATAMA. As far as Gameness, if ATAMA seems restrictive in the shoulders, Gameness will not fit you well either.

If you're willing to shell out the money, Sho Yo Roll makes a great gi as well.

For a normal shaped person, they should fit well in the shoulders.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I've a a couple of Atamas over the years. I bought a size up the second time around just due to a tightness issue. The Atamas shrink something fierce, even when you wash them in cold and line dry. That said, the second Atama I ended up with is near the lop of my list of favorite gis I've had.

There are a lot of good options out there. I've also hear great things about Shyoroll but don't own one. The only high dollar gi I own is a Lucky. I can say that it's easily, hands down, the best gi top I own. The pants have a history of easily falling apart. I bought my top second hand, and wouldn't spend full price on one, but the tops really are fantastic.

One gi that doesn't get the accolades it deserves is the Spartan. It's affordable, holds up well, and fits great.

Nice. Thanks for the info guys. What weave do you typically go with? Single? Double? etc.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

I like the double weave. However, the "gold" or "pearl" weave that are in between are really nice as well. For daily work, the double is still my choice however.

I've never had the need for a double weave. And I weigh 230. I love pearl/ gold weave. Feels really soft. Otherwise I just go with single.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I prefer the double because I'm abusive, my training partners are abusive, and the double gives my training partners a better hand workout.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

For grappling I use a Datsusara MMA brand hemp gi unless I'm doing a judo competition--then I just switch to a cheap, Chinese brand single weave.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society