• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ranges of Combat

Nothings wrong with disengaging. But, in free movement you're already disengaged until someone makes the first move.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Nothings wrong with disengaging. But, in free movement you're already disengaged until someone makes the first move.

:)

Absolutely true. The point Renzo makes is that you must be capable of moving from one phase of combat to another in a fluid and capable manner. Otherwise you risk being put in a position where you're at the disadvantage.

This means moving from clinch to takedown as well as from clinch to disengage. Or not to engage at all if you can't do it safely (ie there's more than one opponent and a clear route of escape).

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I think this concept was touched on somewhat in a separate thread, as a side tangent, I think. I think you were the one who brought it up, tg. I think its a sound concept, and it makes sense to me. I wish I could expand more, but I don't think I can without sounding like I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'll have to look into that book, perhaps.

I think this concept was touched on somewhat in a separate thread, as a side tangent, I think. I think you were the one who brought it up, tg. I think its a sound concept, and it makes sense to me. I wish I could expand more, but I don't think I can without sounding like I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'll have to look into that book, perhaps.

I highly recommend it to anyone in the martial arts. It has an amazing History section that is more detailed than any other single source I've ever seen. Plus, it's incredibly inexpensive. New, it's only like, $15. I've seen it as low as $10 used.

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Jujitsu-Martial-Arts/dp/0736044043/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327461078&sr=8-2

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Probably; i've always commented that ranges make no sense. For instance, to see if we are in range to kick someone, we can shake hands casually. That indicates a rather close conversational range, one which can be closed by the structure of a technique itself. Some techniques have different ranges than other techniques. Two kicks may not have the same range, and some punches might have longer ranges than some kicks.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia