• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

DOJO/DOJANG ettiquette

Depends on the school. In Kalkinodo, we do Mister/Miss and last name for every dan rank below fourth. At fourth, its Master and first name.

Judo, its Sensei for non master black belts.

BJJ, instructor's preference.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes I call my primary Sensei "Sensei Meanie McMeanpants" or "Sensei Scary Man." Now, you could say that's extremely disrespectful... but I don't call him that in class. I call him that outside of class during some of our supplementary training, and only because it makes him laugh. But we're engaged, so it's a little different, lol!

Don't let that fool you- he is often my harshest judge at grading, and we take our training very seriously. We can separate dojo business and relationship stuff. And I respect him like crazy.

A lot of respect can be love. And I do love all of my instructors... the other two in not all the same ways though, lol!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Sometimes I call my primary Sensei "Sensei Meanie McMeanpants" or "Sensei Scary Man." Now, you could say that's extremely disrespectful... but I don't call him that in class. I call him that outside of class during some of our supplementary training, and only because it makes him laugh. But we're engaged, so it's a little different, lol!

Don't let that fool you- he is often my harshest judge at grading, and we take our training very seriously. We can separate dojo business and relationship stuff. And I respect him like crazy.

A lot of respect can be love. And I do love all of my instructors... the other two in not all the same ways though, lol!

I was actually harder on my girlfriend for a while than the other students...my master instructor had to point it out to me lol. Oops.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Kinda depends on the school in my TKD style. As a rule everyone senior to you in age or rank is Sir/Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ma'am unless they have a 7th dan or above. They are then "master" at 7th dan, "senior master" for 8th dan, and "grandmaster" at 9th dan. If they are a master, you always refer to them as "master X" or use the Korean alternative. 1st through to 3rd dan can be called the Korean "boosabum" (assistant instructor) and 4th through to 6th "sabumnim" (instructor). We also use the senpai/kohai terms although the Korean equivalents are sunbae and hubae (sp?). The designated sunbae is the highest grade in the class as well as any blackbelts that aren't also instructors.

My school is fairly casual about it and my instructor goes by his first name outside of class. In class its always Sir or Mr though. I've always made special care to call all the instructors Mr/Mrs etc. when the kids are there as I think it reinforces the idea that these people are their teachers, like school teachers. Some schools in the same style are really strict though and you always refer to people by their full title even outside of class.

When I did Tai Chi, it was just first names all the time.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I use "senpai" and "sensei" as suffixes. I suppose it's because I was training in Japan as a lower rank, but "Sensei Bob" sounds funny; "Bob sensei" sounds much better to my ear. Even though the rest of JKA calls him "Shihan," my instructor asks us to just call him "Mikami sensei." He likes to treat people all as equals, and seems to be less concerned with acting aloof than one would expect from someone in his position. I respect that a lot.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

The Taekwondo org. I'm with is very formal. All BB's are referred to as Mr., Miss, or Mrs. All 4th Dan & above, Master. All 8th & 9th Dans, Grandmaster. My GM, a 9th Dan Kukkiwon, has never called me by my first name, even in casual conversation. Always addresses me by title.

My first master was a Korean 5th Dan & asked us to call him Mister. Of course we did, both inside & outside of class. I carry that tradition with my students. However, when we have visiting Masters & GM's, they are to call them by their title.

I've trained in Arts where it's much more relaxed & enjoyed it; but formality is a hard habit for me to break.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I use "senpai" and "sensei" as suffixes. I suppose it's because I was training in Japan as a lower rank, but "Sensei Bob" sounds funny; "Bob sensei" sounds much better to my ear. Even though the rest of JKA calls him "Shihan," my instructor asks us to just call him "Mikami sensei." He likes to treat people all as equals, and seems to be less concerned with acting aloof than one would expect from someone in his position. I respect that a lot.

Hi Shizentai, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it correct nomenclature - in Japanese martial arts - to use the term "sensei" after the instructors family name, if they are Japanese. However if they are not Japanese the "Sensei" comes first.

So, Sensei Bob (well I guess really Bob's surname) is correct, where as it is Funakoshi sensei - if you are Japanese?

Also, isn't Shihan more of recognision of office/status, rather than how you would address someone?

It's like being a director of a company - you ARE a director but the staff don't address you as "Director Sojobo".

Someone can be the "shihan" of a group (and have it shown as such on their business card as it were), but you still address them as "sensei" in the dojo?

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

BTW for what it’s worth, it seems to me that the whole etiquette thing is far more exaggerated in gendai (modern) tma than it is in the "Koryu" of ancient Japan.

In my Koryu dojo (a 17th century samurai kobujutsu) I call my instructor Steve.

sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

BTW for what it’s worth, it seems to me that the whole etiquette thing is far more exaggerated in gendai (modern) tma than it is in the "Koryu" of ancient Japan.

In my Koryu dojo (a 17th century samurai kobujutsu) I call my instructor Steve.

sojobo

Interesting point. Though not truely a ko ryu, during the training of sogo budo, I just called my instructor john.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Hi Shizentai, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it correct nomenclature - in Japanese martial arts - to use the term "sensei" after the instructors family name, if they are Japanese. However if they are not Japanese the "Sensei" comes first.

So, Sensei Bob (well I guess really Bob's surname) is correct, where as it is Funakoshi sensei - if you are Japanese?

I don't think there is one set of rules every martial artist in the universe must follow, no. Forgive me if I sounded like I was implying there was. However, if your last name is "Williams" and you teach in Japan, people will call you "Williams Sensei," not "Sensei Williams." If you are in the states, well, you get called whatever you want to get called (as you will easily see in the rest of this thread).

When I was writing about "Bob sensei," (which I did while half-asleep to be fair), I admittedly let my southern side show a little bit. I am from very far south and we often call people by their first names, even teachers (ex: "Mrs. Anne"). Also, we pronounce "Mrs." and "Miss." exactly the same (like you probably say "Miss."). I don't actually know anyone I call "Bob sensei" though. "Bob" was meant more as a variable than an actual example. But yes, for Japanese people I do use their Surnames. For people from southern Louisiana like myself, I use their given names. For other Americans and/or other people who would prefer I use their surnames, I gladly accommodate them as well. I think that's really the key here.

Also, isn't Shihan more of recognision of office/status, rather than how you would address someone?

It's like being a director of a company - you ARE a director but the staff don't address you as "Director Sojobo".

Someone can be the "shihan" of a group (and have it shown as such on their business card as it were), but you still address them as "sensei" in the dojo

Well that's definitely how we use it here I'd say, but In Japan I visited three different regional headquarter dojos in which even little kids called the head instructor just "Shihan," even while training, even while asking to go to the bathroom during training. I was surprised at first myself.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro