• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

DOJO/DOJANG ettiquette

We use "Mr." for everything, unless they are 4th dan and up, at which time they are titled "Jr. Master," and at 5th, titled "Master." When we answer up in school, we use "sir."

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you call your Instructor(s)

Sensei.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

My first dojo we always called our teacher sensei, he lived a few houses away from me so I would run into him quiet often and would still only address him as sensei and all the other student's did the same.

In my current dojo we call our teacher sensei Merriam. A lot more relaxed environment outside of class.

• 2 months later...

You should always arrive to class/session if you are fit and physically able to train and you should arrive in your suit/gi/dobok/etc. unless you haven't it with your for whatever acceptable reason. You should bow before entering and leaving the training hall/room/dojo/dojang and should never walk in front of a higher grade as that can be seen as disrespectable. A lower grade should walk round a higher grade to get to his acquired destination.

OSS! Shimizu Yuuhiro Shodan Shukokai Karate-Do

Yoon Kwan Ilgop Kup ITF Tae Kwon-Do

In the dojo, the main instructor is usually just called Sensei but a few students call him Sensei Lak or Sensei Esi. Black belts from other dojos are called Mr./Mrs. ___ or Sir/Ma'am ____ . All them were shodan except a nihan and a yondan. The yondan practiced only Shotokan and not Goju-Ryu or Kyukoshin, so he told us he didn't care what you called him as long as it wasn't insulting. Usually it was Sensei, Sensei Dan or Dan.

In my previous school, the chief instructor and even the head of the organization were just called sensei. Whoever was teaching the class was also called sensei, so they might be sensei one day and sempai another day. Outside of class it was just first names. In my current school, the chief instructor is called shihan, sandan and above is sensei, and through nidan is just sempai, even if they are teaching.

I kind of like my Uncle Bill's attitude about it, although he wasn't the sensei of anything. He always used to say, "I don't care what you call me, as long as you don't call me late for dinner". :D

Japanese MA- Sensei

Chinese- Sifu

Boxing- Bob that is my instructor by the way in Boxing

Martial Arts

• 2 months later...

Korean Hapkido (some are different for some schools but mostly similar)

1st dan - Jokionim

2nd dan - Kiosanim

3rd dan - Busabomnim

4-5-6th dan - Sabomnim

7-8-9th dan - Kwan Jang nim

10th dan founder - Chong Kwan Jang nim ......or......Do joo nim

But as much as title is respect. My master's a 9th dan and a 10th dan founder and we still call him (master) or Kwan jang nim.

I think. as long as you show great respect. it's fine.

Knowing others is intelligence, knowing yourself is true wisdom.

Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power.