• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Saying bye to your Dojang

Oh, and yes - everyone in my Dojang pretty much progresses at the same speed, it is hard for a student to fail at a grading although if you try hard and practice a lot you generally get a far higher mark.

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what yo u mean about parents, I currently have an addiction to buying books off amazon.co.uk. But I can understand I have spent quite alot, but that is what money is for, right?

Our Ki training in Aikido is very different to that of Tai Chi/Chi Kung exercises. In Aikido we learn more to focus other peoples Ki, and our own in the way that the Aikidoka wants. We yield more to attacks to get our opponents off balance, Tai Chi more about focusing Chi/Ki into a strike, or using it to be completely unmoveable, Aikido has similar exercise's but they are for the higher grades only. both the arts seem to eventually come along the same lines.

[color=indigo]Jack, I train in two classes a week. One of the main people teaching the BJJ classes is my TKD instructor, I have been training with him for a long time - almost as long as the school has been there! Since I've been teaching there, I have the reputation of always dropping in to help out even if it isn't one of my days or being available to help out if someone is sick. My instructor just said that I didn't have to pay, that it was on him because of my work - which was supposed to be totally volunteer because I was sort of an "apprentice". Now I'm going to start getting paid, but I still roll for free! It is good to be able to train at the same school, I can always ask my instructor for help on something.[/color]

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

• 2 months later...

Perhaps now Jack is off that dojang, but the subject is quite interesting and I'll bore you with a post.

Leaving a dojo/dojang is extremelly hard, but it must be done, if you feel like you've done your job there. It takes a lot of courage to come to the conclusion: well, I've done all I could, it's useless to stay, ... let's move...

Jack had the brains to analize his goals. if MA training no longer helped him achieve them, he left. It's a hard lesson, but I guess we must all learn it. He is quite an example.

Karate training is for life, this is how many tell us... well it's for all life as lond as your life is connected with it. If not, why spend years doing something that no longer means something for you?

Sometimes one must review one's goals ...

Right now I'm in love from my head to my toes with karate. i hope I'll be this way for my whole life and then I'll train till I die :) But if I'll feel this no longer means much, I hope I'll find the strenght to say. ENOUGH. It's been great. Now i must move on.

Sorry for the lenght of the post and for the "melodramatic" words ... it's just a thought.

a lot of it is to do with money - my dad was completely against me leaving Taekwondo but said I could do Taekwondo at another school... but if I was taking a new martial art he would be very dissapointed in me and make me pay for myself (sort of a blackmail, since he knew I couldn't afford lessons)

So, now that just means I'll go and get a job. :D

Jack i live in England aswell, though from what i have seen, the prices of martial art training are not that expensive, how much do you actually pay if you dont mind me asking

Brown Sash Hsing I/Lau Gar Kung Fu

Brown Belt San Shou

17 yr old

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk

I agree with Ramy. When I left my TSD dojang, it was the hardest thing for me. They were like family to me. My Suh bum nim was like my brother. He took care of me. He even let me work (clean the dojang) to pay for my tuition when I lost my job. I do miss them, but I know now that I am always welcome there when I visit home (NJ) to work out for a day or two. The last time I visited there, it was like I never left. The same people were there (just at higher ranks LOL), and my friends (which I keep in contact via email from NY) were there that night. I had a blast. I will never forget my first art or dojang. I will have my first art soon tattooed on my arm, and I will visit East Coast Karate (my first real dojang .... https://www.imahq.net ) every few months. I'm going to the major IMA tourny there in spring :) I can't wait :)

Laurie F