• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Saying bye to your Dojang

well good luck with what ever you do now. hope you made the right choice.

Thanks, bud. :)

I'm still dreading parting ways though, it's going to be tough.

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking of looking into Thai Boxing or Wing Chun, and a Tai Chi style - alongside the weightlifting and jogging.

Jack

KarateForums.com

i like muay thai alot. dont know much about wing chun but it looks very nice too.

theres a guy down my road who stands outside everyday doin tai chi looks funny but ive heard good things about it.

were you training in something else aswell as TKD?

Yes, Tai Chi may look "funny" but apparently it is a great internal art. I'd have no need to practice it in public when I can just go into the garden, anyway. :D

I wasn't training in anything other than TKD previously, due to parents and money, (and their own greed ;)). But since I'm already being dubbed a "quitter" and the like, I doubt I will get any support and so will get a job to pay for my lessons. :)

Jack

KarateForums.com

Tai Chi is one of the finest martial arts out there, and anyone that says otherwise knows nothing about it. "The Complete Book of Tai Chi Chuan-by Kwon Kiew Kit", is a good starter book.

Tai Chi or the translation of "Supreme Ultimate Fist", takes a life time to master, say 5-10 years to actually be able to use it. It is a complete system that offers everything, using Chi over muscular strength. I have a friend that has been studing it for about a year, and the internal strength that he has is scarey, it is although he is completely unmoveable.

Mike - I have been training in Taekwondo for the past 16 months, and achieved Blue Belt (4th Kyu) I think that is too little time for a belt so high.

Kensai - this is what appeals to me about Tai Chi. I feel it is a complete internal art that will concentrate on the coordination of energy, body, and mind - which is vital to a martial artist. How do you think the internal part of your Aikido compares to your friend's Tai Chi study?

Jack

KarateForums.com

[color=indigo]Wow Jack, 4th Kyu, you acheived that very quickly! It took me about three years to get my GREEN belt, which is what 4th kyu is in our system! Does everyone take that long at your dojang?

I would love to study tai chi because I hear it is great for improving strength! I am also starting of informally training in Thai boxing a bit, just to dabble and learn different ways of kicking!

Jack, don't let your parents get you down. You have no idea how much my parents opposed the idea of grappling in any shape or form, and my mom makes a face whenever i mention "no gi", "in the guard" "grappling with...(some guy)". My instructor was very understanding, I train in BJJ for free! As far as TKD, once I get my black belt (In a year and a half the soonest) my parents will stop paying, but I just got a job so I am going to be ok! You'll work it out![/color]

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

Thanks for the wellwishing, three60. :)

That's very generous of your BJJ instructor to allow you to train for free, how often do you get to go for a lesson there? And yes, I may be getting some Muay Thai videos off of a friend to do a bit of unofficial "dabbling" too. :D

And it does appear to be a trend from all of the teens on this site that parents tend to not understand our needs in the Martial Arts, no matter how well they are put to them. I wonder whats the deal with that? It's not that they are so completely against it in cases, a lot of it is to do with money - my dad was completely against me leaving Taekwondo but said I could do Taekwondo at another school... but if I was taking a new martial art he would be very dissapointed in me and make me pay for myself (sort of a blackmail, since he knew I couldn't afford lessons)

So, now that just means I'll go and get a job. :D

Jack

KarateForums.com