• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Saying bye to your Dojang

Thanks for the replies again.

ZR440 - Thank you for the recommendiation and the link, I've had a good look at it, and it does appear interesting. It seems to encompass all combat-parts of the martial arts as well as including meditation and physical conditioning. There is also a school nearby in the federation belonging to a 5th dan - definitely worth a visit I think. Thank you again.

Kensai - It definitely is difficult to leave a dojo. I am dreading it already, lol. I have no decided what I want to do but I have a good idea of what I would like to do - something concerning an effective fighting art, but also an internal aspect. I am not interested in sport, tournament, or watered down training. I live in Norwich inside the UK, in Norfolk. As you have said, many of the internal Chinese styles would be a good choice for me to look furhter into.

I must say Kensai I am impressed by the website for your dojo, however there are no schools belonging to your organization there. However, there are two Aikido schools I am aware of in my city - also worth a look into.

I am most concerned with peacefully leaving the current dojang without too much "depression" ensuing. I can look for a school later on, but this is my current priority.

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming. :)

PS. Patrick, I bet that makes you feel proud. ;)

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I didn't come right out and suggest KSW, ZR440. Since KSW is everything BUT "fast, to the point".

Besides, since KSW usually asks you to resign you black belt in other arts before being promoted to BB in KSW, it would be best to try it last. :)

I did not get that impression from the website, but I can see that so much content is included in the art that it would take a long time to become proficient in all areas, yes?

Although I am after something of a change from the bold, "blocky"(hate to use that word again) movements of a Korean art. :)

Edited by Jack

Jack

KarateForums.com

hey Jack,

You mentioned that you are filling fulfilled at you current gym. This happens to alot of people, espeacially if you go thorough the same routine time and time again. But, before you leave you current gym, my I suggest that you explain you problem to you head instructor. You relationship to your art is just like any other relationship you have to let the other side know how you are feeling.

Now if you have already done this and nothing has changed, then I suggest you look into some other arts

In search of the Temple of Light

BlackI, thank you for the reply. (And welcome to Karateforums.com!)

I am going to explain a part of my problem to my instructor, but I do not wish to go into detail with him since it would appear as if I am badmouthing him, the dojang, or the art which I definitely do not mean to. It is not a simple problem with routine and drills, it is the orientation that the school takes towards the Martial Arts (heavy emphasis on sparring and gradings, little emphasis on effective fighting or internal aspects) alongside the style of art (hard, linear) that do not appeal to me. These are drastic things that I feel would not be affected by talking to the instructor.

In addition I do not feel like I can share everything on my mind with my instructor, which is probably a great cause for concern in itself.

I have made up my mind to leave, but do not worry it is no hasty, easy decision - it has taken a lot of thought to come to this conclusion.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Jack

KarateForums.com

thank you for welcoming me, This site is great. You get insight for so many MA angles..

Well it sounds like you have it all worked it out.

Good look to your in you MA travels

Edited by BlackI

In search of the Temple of Light

You're right, Jack. It does take a while, but saves changing arts to pick up the different aspects that are all covered in one.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.