• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Saying bye to your Dojang

How would you go about it? :)

I have decided after much thought to leave my Taekwondo dojang. The reasons for this is that it does not give me what I want from a martial art since it is a somewhat 'watered down' school that revolves around gradings and sparring, and not realistic self defence, or physical and mental improvement. I have decided to start up weightlifting and jogging since one of the main reasons I joined the Martial Arts in the first place was simply for exercise, which TKD gave me, but now I want so much more that my TKD dojang doesn't provide.

I want a traditional school of some kind, with fast, to the point, efficient moves, tough training, but no pressure from frequent gradings - I was thinking if I could find a good Wing Chun school around here, I may be interested to look into that. (in my Taekwondo school we were going for a new belt every 3 months and the instructor allowed the teaching to revolve around what will impress the instructors, not what really works)

I would also be interested in a style of Tai Chi, I happen to get stressed sometimes and felt that doing my Taekwondo forms slowly helped, but the moves are too 'blocky' for my liking (no offence to Taekwondo-ists, it's a personal dislike) and would like something more internal and relaxing to help me keep my mental sanity.

I'm just after any ideas here on how to say bye to my Taekwondo dojang? I've known them all for about 16 months and saying bye to them will feel extremely difficult. but I feel it is the right thing to do.

Thanks. :)

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in the same way you have been honest with yourself, convey this same honesty with your instructor and those in your dojang. I mean you needn't add the "negative" details involving the whys of leaving ... just that you are interested in trying something "new". You may in fact "stop by" on ocassion if (like many of here I'm sure) have developed friendships within the dojang walls.

Jack, you are indeed doing the "right" thing .... not that you need anyone to tell you that. It's when you get to advanced levels in training (even months before black belt) where it comes devastating to oneself to find they have lost the "interest" in their art. It almost happened to me .... I pulled myself back in .... and I am still there. I just had to redirect my mindset regarding my training ... to be honest with myself. Is any other martial art really going to give me what I want? .... what I need? Good questions to ask .... even better when you walk away with the answers!

I may be given the term "link Queen" soon! .... but here are some links I believe you'll find helpful ... (look into Taijiquan!!)

http://www.taichiunion.com

http://www.gateway-taijiquan.co.uk/

http://www.taijiquan.plus.com/links.htm

I agree with link Queen...Oops I mean KickCkick :lol:

Just explain that you had a few different arts in mind when you started, and now that you've experienced TKD, you'd like to experience one of the others before you commit a lifetime of training to either.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Deby - thank you for the advice and links, helpful as ever. :)

KSN Doug - that is very much what I would like to do. Try out several different styles before deciding which is right for me and commiting to that.

So to tell my instructor and schoolmates that Taekwondo has been enjoyable and a big part of my life, but that I want to go and try out other things to find what is right for me to follow. :)

Jack

KarateForums.com

Yes exactly Jack .... (and you're very welcome hun! :) )

Do you think perhaps you're involvement here at KF has widened your horizons a bit? ... made you a bit more knowledgeable in the field of martial arts.

I've noticed that I have changed my "views" on many aspects of the martial arts since I've been here ... some for the good I might add, and yet I have learned to question the rationale of many other things i.e. .... ranking, martial art as sport, the importance of kata/forms,young black belts, young instructors etc. etc.

Deby, this site has greatly broadened my horizons. I may only be new to the Martial Arts but this site is responsible for a great deal of the knowledge I have obtained over the past 16 months. If it were not for the internet I would not be nearly as informed.

Jack

KarateForums.com

I'm surprised KSN Doug didn't recommend Kuk Sool Won to you Jack. It is a traditional hard/soft style that does have a bit of meditation using breathing techniques. And it is physically demanding. I don't like promoting an art to someone I don't know, but you may want to check out a school near you. Visit the kuksoolwon.com site for details.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

It is very hard to leave a dojo, especially if you have been there for some time. I also know that it is sometimes frustrating doing an art that you don't REALLY want to do. I was like that with shotokan. You have to follow your heart (excuse the cliche), and really enjoy what art you do on ALL levels, but it for fun, self defence and meditiation.

Have you decided what you want to do?

Where abouts are you in the UK?

If you want meditation, the something like Ki Aikido could be good for you. This is what I study and I have found it to be very good at ALL the levels. However any of the Wudang(chinese internal arts) would be good for you, Yang and Chen style Tai Chi, Pa Gua and Hsing-i.

This is the link for my dojo,

http://www.kifedgb.force9.co.uk/contents.html

it has a dojo listing.

Take care, and hope you find what you want.

How would you go about it? :)

...I want a traditional school of some kind, with fast, to the point, efficient moves, tough training, but no pressure from frequent gradings...

Thanks. :)

This is why I didn't come right out and suggest KSW, ZR440. Since KSW is everything BUT "fast, to the point".

However, since KSW usually asks you to resign you black belt in other arts before being promoted to BB in KSW, it might be best to try it sooner. :)

Edited by SBN Doug

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.