• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hugging in the dojo

We mostly think of it as a possibility to get knifed in the back.

Man, your dojo must be really tough! Are there stabbings there often? :brow:

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a hugger. I don't see any problem in it as long as the instructor doesn't.

I'm the Instructor and I hug, Don't see no issues in it!!!

Same here!

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

If something isn't based in training, it has no place in the dojo.

For me, the people in your dojo are family. It's important to have a good relationship with your martial arts family so that they will help you in your journey and vice versa. So with that in mind, you could say that hugging is part of training, because by showing your love for the people around you you're boosting their morale, showing them that you have their back and helping them to stick with the class.

OSU, I agree Zaine! I respect other approaches too though...

But for me, I have a dojo family. We take care of each other. If somebody needs help outside of the dojo, chances are high that someone from the dojo will help them with it if they can. We help each other get good deals and services in our community, we protect one another, we get each other work if we can, we check on each other, and all of that good tribalist stuff.

A lot of us also punch each other as a sign of affection, haha! Especially the instructors- some of them punch to show affection.

OSU!

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Man hugs, man hugs only. :D

There isn't a person I train with in my dojo that I haven't drug up off of the mats after hard rounds of sparring or grappling and embraced. There isn't one I haven't helped stand up straight at the end of a promotion and given a good slap on the back in congratulations. And they've pulled me up to my feet and done the same.

Good training breeds honestly. Not out of a mortal code you preach about, but because the training floor leaves no where to hide. When you're that honest with people, they are family. There is no shame in giving a family member a hug.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

In our training hall the people who i have the closest relationships with our the people that i have knockdown drag out brawls with on a daily basis. You bette believe that after beating the tar out of each other for 60 minutes i don't have the ego were i won't give them a big slap on the back and say good work.

This seems oddly fitting.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

In Shotokan, we never hugged. It was a bow, always.

In BJJ, we shake hands, bow, hug, head nod, throw up peace signs, throw up "hang loose" signs and just about any other salutation you can imagine.

It's about being respectful. As long as you're being respectful toward your training partners, you're doing it right!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

In Shotokan, we never hugged. It was a bow, always.

In BJJ, we shake hands, bow, hug, head nod, throw up peace signs, throw up "hang loose" signs and just about any other salutation you can imagine.

It's about being respectful. As long as you're being respectful toward your training partners, you're doing it right!

Absolutely.

We also bowed before and after a spar. After a particular brutal match we hugged because it was fun. Usually the hugging happens before and after the class for me, but it certainly wasn't rare to see it during.

Today after class, I hugged my Sensei after we did some body toughening... I was working him over right at his limit. He worked me over pretty well too. We leaned on each other, lol, kept us standing!

I'll hug if the context matches the content of the venue, but it's extremely limited across the board because not everyone wants to hug or give hugs. To some, it's an invasion of privacy, and hugging can be interpreted as sexual harassment or whatever else.

I choose my hugs carefully. The less I know someone, the less likely I'll hug due to the above paragraph.

This includes, and is not limited to handshakes and the like. Some people just don't want to be touched, and I respect that...to a point. I've got to "touch" my students to teach and the like, especially Tuite. I can't manipulate by osmosis, I've not learn that Jedi mind thingy yet.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!