• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have emailed Mr. Jamilla to point him to this thread and invite him to join our community. I hope he does as it'd be interesting to hear his thoughts. :)

This might be the start of the greatest nerd argument ever.

Also, I didn't read your article, but please listen to my grievances with it. :lol:

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might be the start of the greatest nerd argument ever.

:lol:

The guy would be a great addition to our community. I can pretty much imagine it turning into a 900-page nerd debate...which is pretty much right up my alley. Everybody keep your fingers crossed.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

I can't speak for this book, but having authored a book that was picked up by a fairly major publisher, etc., I can tell you that it is a challenging process and that it takes a certain measure of courage to write one, to put yourself out there like that. There is a certain vulnerability to it.

Patrick

I probably would've treaded lightly, and been a little more understanding had he not completely trashed a couple of books and other articles/opinions on all of the topics. He's presumably tough enough to handle it, which is a good thing. And while some people enjoy fermented meat...I'll gladly declare it to be pretty much the worst food ever.

Also, I had an instructor in college who had a copy of "Building Online Communities with phpBB 2." That was before I ended up here, so I had no clue, but I believe that you did the foreword?

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

Wait, wait...an International studies guy who fenced and didn't get to go stab French nobility while on diplomatic assignment wrote a frustratingly not geek cool Star Wars book? That could never, ever happen. That's as likely as a historian who took up martial arts and loves he guns being unable to develop the perfect gun kata. Just couldn't happen.

It's books like the one your talking about LP, that have such great geek potential. Sadly they often just don't deliver. And only we geeks care enough to be flustered by them. I've got a buddy who very likely could publish at least a novel length rundown of Hyperborean culture and politics. But, I'm sure it would be rough on the reader looking for thrones being trod under sandaled feet.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• 1 month later...

I apologize for the delay in responding, Liver Punch. Really? Thank you for mentioning that. Yes, I did write the foreword. I also was a technical editor on the book. :)

Thanks,

Patrick