• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was probably more excited about knowing I'd likely get the book "Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe: Historical Origins, Style and Philosophy" by Nick Jamilla for Christmas this year. I did get the book, and after knocking off a few other things i was reading, got down to completing it this weekend.

It sucks. I mean...badly. The guys credentials were quite impressive as laid out in the introduction of the book. He got into fencing early in life and then eventually Kendo and Aikido. He studied international relations at Georgetown University, and is, presumably, a Star Wars nerd. As a Star Wars nerd, martial arts nerd, and Political Science major (read:nerd) I quickly decided that this was the book for me.

The book started off as being quite heavy in the relationship between the politics and policy of various entities in the Star Wars universe, and even as someone knowledgeable on the topic, it wasn't the easiest thing to follow. This wasn't a quality brought on by the difficult of the subject matter, but rather the dryness (and I'm a fairly dry person myself) and the manner in which the author makes politics (normally exciting) and Star Wars (always exciting) into not-so exciting topic of discussion. This was fine with me , however, as the book was long and we'd soon be off to the "good stuff." The good stuff, it would seem, was going to have to wait. Apparently once politics were out of the way, religion was going to get beat to death in the name of learning about sword-fighting. Once again this would have been something I was excited to read about, but the life had been sucked completely out of it.

Every chapter, like the title of the book, has an interesting title. But like the book as a whole, the author chooses not to address the topic laid out in the chapter titles, but rather turn each chapter into the same rambling and boring drivel. It would seem that there points in the book where you can go five pages without reading any mention of the Star Wars universe. The only "meat and potatoes" regarding actual sword fighting as it pertains to the Jedi is in the choreography section of the book. While I don't mind that on its face, it provides a good lead in for this books biggest issue: the author.

The author makes a few things clear throughout the book: the actors don't know what they're doing in regards to sword fighting and pretty much botch everything, the force in the Star Wars universe has almost zero impact on anything whatsoever, fencing is the greatest version of swordplay ever conceived, and almost everyone who's ever written about Star Wars doesn't know what they're talking about. All of this coming from a guy who spells out droid names phonetically...who says "See Threepio?" There were points in the book when I couldn't determine if the author had never seen the movies or was legitimately dense. At one point he makes the argument that sword fighting in the movies isn't legitimate because it isn't actual combat. No joke? What gave away the fact that Ewan McGregor couldn't beat William Wallace, Musashi, or Achilles in a sword fight? Perhaps the fact that he's an actor? Maybe because he doesn't have any formal training? Or maybe - just maybe, it's because he's swinging around a plastic "laser sword" that doesn't actually exist?

The entire book is filled with junk like that, argument after argument that compares either Star Wars directly to real combat, or compares the actors and things that take place on set to actual combat. It just doesn't make any sense, and even on topics where he might get some traction, his constantly contradictory statements hamstring his efforts early on. If anyone wants this book, I'll gladly mail it to them. If anyone lives near a volcano, I'll pay them to throw it in.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was probably more excited about knowing I'd likely get the book "Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe: Historical Origins, Style and Philosophy" by Nick Jamilla for Christmas this year. I did get the book, and after knocking off a few other things i was reading, got down to completing it this weekend.

It sucks. I mean...badly. The guys credentials were quite impressive as laid out in the introduction of the book. He got into fencing early in life and then eventually Kendo and Aikido. He studied international relations at Georgetown University, and is, presumably, a Star Wars nerd. As a Star Wars nerd, martial arts nerd, and Political Science major (read:nerd) I quickly decided that this was the book for me.

The book started off as being quite heavy in the relationship between the politics and policy of various entities in the Star Wars universe, and even as someone knowledgeable on the topic, it wasn't the easiest thing to follow. This wasn't a quality brought on by the difficult of the subject matter, but rather the dryness (and I'm a fairly dry person myself) and the manner in which the author makes politics (normally exciting) and Star Wars (always exciting) into not-so exciting topic of discussion. This was fine with me , however, as the book was long and we'd soon be off to the "good stuff." The good stuff, it would seem, was going to have to wait. Apparently once politics were out of the way, religion was going to get beat to death in the name of learning about sword-fighting. Once again this would have been something I was excited to read about, but the life had been sucked completely out of it.

Every chapter, like the title of the book, has an interesting title. But like the book as a whole, the author chooses not to address the topic laid out in the chapter titles, but rather turn each chapter into the same rambling and boring drivel. It would seem that there points in the book where you can go five pages without reading any mention of the Star Wars universe. The only "meat and potatoes" regarding actual sword fighting as it pertains to the Jedi is in the choreography section of the book. While I don't mind that on its face, it provides a good lead in for this books biggest issue: the author.

The author makes a few things clear throughout the book: the actors don't know what they're doing in regards to sword fighting and pretty much botch everything, the force in the Star Wars universe has almost zero impact on anything whatsoever, fencing is the greatest version of swordplay ever conceived, and almost everyone who's ever written about Star Wars doesn't know what they're talking about. All of this coming from a guy who spells out droid names phonetically...who says "See Threepio?" There were points in the book when I couldn't determine if the author had never seen the movies or was legitimately dense. At one point he makes the argument that sword fighting in the movies isn't legitimate because it isn't actual combat. No joke? What gave away the fact that Ewan McGregor couldn't beat William Wallace, Musashi, or Achilles in a sword fight? Perhaps the fact that he's an actor? Maybe because he doesn't have any formal training? Or maybe - just maybe, it's because he's swinging around a plastic "laser sword" that doesn't actually exist?

The entire book is filled with junk like that, argument after argument that compares either Star Wars directly to real combat, or compares the actors and things that take place on set to actual combat. It just doesn't make any sense, and even on topics where he might get some traction, his constantly contradictory statements hamstring his efforts early on. If anyone wants this book, I'll gladly mail it to them. If anyone lives near a volcano, I'll pay them to throw it in.

Darn, I was hoping to read this when you were done with it. Sound like this guy believes that most star wars fans enjoy a good trip to the dmv as opposed to learning about the anatomy of a light saber duel. What is the authors name????, you should send him an angry nerd letter.

What is the authors name????, you should send him an angry nerd letter.

Nick Jamilla, and I'm presently compiling my angry nerd letter. This guy probably thinks that Greedo shot first. :lol:

― Homer, The Simpsons

Amazon's customers disagree: http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Fighting-Star-Wars-Universe/product-reviews/0786434619/ref=pr_all_summary_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

You should post your review on there to save anyone else from reading it ... In fact, it seems as though he replied to one of the reviews on there so you could get a reply from the man himself :D

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Amazon's customers disagree: http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Fighting-Star-Wars-Universe/product-reviews/0786434619/ref=pr_all_summary_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

You should post your review on there to save anyone else from reading it ... In fact, it seems as though he replied to one of the reviews on there so you could get a reply from the man himself :D

I'll probably do just that. I wish the title were different. I feel like the victim of some sort of bait and switch. Also, I got if for Christmas from my grandma who just so happens to have an Amazon account. (they require you to have purchased it there to write a review) I'll have to use her account to write a review, but it should prove to be a rare scathing review from a 70 year old woman that's both online and Star Wars related.

― Homer, The Simpsons

What is the authors name????, you should send him an angry nerd letter.

Nick Jamilla, and I'm presently compiling my angry nerd letter. This guy probably thinks that Greedo shot first. :lol:

People that think that aren't really Star Wars fans anyway.

I'll probably do just that. I wish the title were different. I feel like the victim of some sort of bait and switch. Also, I got if for Christmas from my grandma who just so happens to have an Amazon account. (they require you to have purchased it there to write a review) I'll have to use her account to write a review, but it should prove to be a rare scathing review from a 70 year old woman that's both online and Star Wars related.

Don't think you have to purchase it with the same account. I've written reviews on Amazon.com and .co.uk when I've bought the item elsewhere or it was a gift.

Sounds like the book really really sucked. :( Although now I'm intrigued as to what he was arguing throughout the book.

Not much of a consolation, but here's a Star Wars-y video that I came across recently which is awesome:

:D

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

here's a Star Wars-y video that I came across recently which is awesome:
:D

Well, it's official, everyone in this thread is a nerd. It's a good thing.

― Homer, The Simpsons