• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ever had to use MA in real life?

shinobitribe

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I once had some aggressive negotiation with a drunk. Sucker punch, hip toss, arm triangle choke, made him promise to be nice and go home.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I killed a dog once...*sigh* Anyhow, I've fallen down and used a break fall a million times. I've also managed to avoid dozens upon dozens of fights, which is what I'm most proud of. We've had a member or two of this forum in the past that touted the "hundreds of street fights" they've been in, and "never lost" - I'm much happier about the hundreds that I never got in.

I'd say even more so than all of that, there's a certain level of confidence that one gains in martial arts. I can't say for sure how many times that's helped me out, but it's many more than I can count. Having survived hours of torture from your training partners makes things like job interviews seem incredibly easy.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

Saved a friend from getting into a fight with a couple bikers by tripping him to the ground, choking him, and then throwing him into the car... long story.

Grappling the occasional out of control drunken friend, so they don't hurt themselves.

Every time i go to a restaurant and case out the crowd, exits, possible trouble makers etc.

Yes - several times. The one that I find funny is I saved a young girl from being beaten up by her Drunk Boyfriend, who then started screaming "Don't hurt him!!!" Her boyfreind also claimed he wanted to do me for assault - I said I'll wait here whilst he contacts the Police, they never arrived, LOL.

I tend to get a few idiots who just don't know when to "walk away"

Lol

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Personally "no" (I'm assuming that you're talking about kicking, striking, etc).

However my cousin had to at work when he was attacked.

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

Only very briefly. I used to be a manager at a chain pharmacy. Someone was trying to steal some stuff. When I confronted her, she swung a bag at me. I just grabbed her and put her in a goose neck and took her in the office.

Beyond that, everything I've done was more about impenetrable posture. During operations in Iraq, we would drive down the road with out weapons always pointed out the windows at the ready. No one ever messed with us.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I haven't had to use my training in real life aside from break-falls and avoidance tactics. The closest that I came was in Hawaii when two drug addicts started following and harassing my friend and I (he's also a karateka) while we were walking to the store one night. I'm a very poor runner and I don't think he's much of a runner, either, so I didn't know how long we would be able to outrun people on drugs. Luckily they never attempted to close the gap we maintained and we were able to avoid any further confrontation after they finally gave up.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

My work calls for it from time to time. Here are some of my general observations from my experiences, not tedious blow by blows:

1) Be prepared for the autonomic physiological responses that will occur. They happen. Read Grossman's books on the subject. Be prepared for the parasympathetic backlash.

2) Body lock takedowns are far more reliable and safer than anything requiring an appendage. The straight arm bar is a tactic I've seen in every art I've ever been exposed to. Keeping safe and in control is way easier with body lock type takedowns.

3) Aggression. It's ALWAYS better to attack in close combat than to rely on defensive maneuvers.

4) Fitness matters. Conditioning either gives you an edge on a bad guy or helps close the gap if he's a specimen. Either way, if you're doing ma's for sd, start conditioning either in class or on your own.

5) Bring back up if you can

Those are my experiences. Take them for what they are worth, your mileage may vary but I have field tested this under all kinds of conditions. I'm comfortable with the statements.