• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

blocking post invention

Wuwei

I had an idea the other day. Maybe something like this already exists if so I'd love a link to it. Otherwise I'd like some help thinking up the mechanics of how to actually build one.

I've been thinking about how much time we spend developing our punch in Karate and how little we develop power in our strong arm blocks (as in the forearm blocks in Isshinryu). We get preached at that every block is an attack but we don't really practice it that way. I had this image in my head of what looks almost like a wingchun dummy.

It looked like a log almost sticking out of a round mechanical circle like device with thick wooden pegs, maybe three or four, sticking out of the log at chest level. The log could free spin and you could change the level the pegs were at for different blocks. So say you did middle blocks on it, the log would spin, ideally giving you a new peg as it rotated. The device at the bottom could be adjusted for firmness, so the tighter you wound it the more force would be required to make the log spin.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt