• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The conundrum of the female knockdown fighter.

evergrey

OSU, JusticeZero- exactly. So frustrating. Every time a woman trains in knockdown and doesn't want to fight seriously, it makes it harder for me to get anyone to take me seriously!

Dobbersky- Yeah, not everyone wants to do tournaments... at least she is a fighter though, eh?

OSU

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have only had experience on the mat with with two women.

The first one was is a brown belt in my system and was training at our gym when i first started. She was the gyms "moron control". Every time we had a knuckle head come into the gym to learn "UFC" we threw him hin against her.

Inevitabely she would demoralize them so badly either their pride would be hurt and they wouldn't come back or they would change their attitude.

I was forced to respect her, because if i took her lightly i would be choked out or beaten into oblivion.

The second i encountered while training at Extreme Couture in Las Vegas. It was during a Muay Thai class, it was one of the larger classes of the day, probably about 15 people.

During sparring rounds we rotated every two minutes, Liverpunch and myself noticed that this woman was chasing all of her sparring partners all over the mat. Turns out she as the Las Vegas 16 year old TKD champion(or something of the like).

I assume that these potential mma fighters that were letting a 16 yo girl chase them around the mat had to much "respect" for her to actually hit her or make here defend anything.

So when it was liverpunch's turn to spar her, he tripped her on her butt immediatly, she popped up with a huge smile on her face and they proceeded to beat each other up for two minutes.

When it was my turn i found myself having to get inside and work from the clinch and use dirty boxing to have success because her kicks were so good. We beat each other up for another two minutes.

After class was over she came up to us and thanked us for training with her. We could tell that she wanted someone to push her, so we obliged.

One has to use their best judgement in sparring with anyone about contact level. But just because a sparring partner happens to be a woman and you take it "easy" on her, you may be doing her a disservice and robbing her of training experience.

We's taught ta respect the womenfolk round theez parts.

However, you will also hear the phrase "round these parts" used without a hint of irony.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Haha, yep, I've got a friend from rural Illinois. He has some interesting ideas, like how he doesn't like that women get to vote. But then again, he might have said that just to try to rile me up, heh! Overall he's actually a nice person.

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Haha, yep, I've got a friend from rural Illinois. He has some interesting ideas, like how he doesn't like that women get to vote. But then again, he might have said that just to try to rile me up, heh! Overall he's actually a nice person.

Hey, now! I'm from rural Illinois and I don't think that way :P

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Haha Wastelander! I know, a lot of folks aren't. This friend of mine just likes to try to get me all riled up, as some long-term friends do. Also the kind of guy who I know has my back if I ever need him.