• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu books/DvDs

Martial Walrus

Yay, my first post!

I have been practicing Taekwondo for about four years. However, since I started college an hour and a half from home, I have only been able to visit my master about once a month. In the mean time, I have been training on my own. Since solo training can get a little boring at times, I have decided to learn kata from other styles as a way to challenge myself and increase my knowledge as a martial artist.

I would like to start by learning the kata of Goju Ryu. They seem very challenging and contain many things that would be a valuable addition to what I already know. However, the closest Goju dojo is twenty miles away, and I don't have a car. Until I am able to get formal teaching, I'll be making due with videos and diagrams.

Does anyone know of any good books, DvDs, or other resources that provide detailed instruction on kihon, kata, and bunkai that they would recommend? Also, any advice additional advice is welcome.

"I have mastered the greatest technique of all: Being much bigger than my opponent."

"The hammer fist solves EVERYTHING!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Ku ku cachoo, my friend. Start here.

Ahh, yes. I have been using youtube as my primary resource already. I'm asking if anyone knows any other good resources. Sorry, I should have specified.

Also, I'm particularly interested in books, especially older ones. I don't know exactly why, but using a book for reference seems more appropriate some how than using electronic media. More nostalgic, perhaps?

"I have mastered the greatest technique of all: Being much bigger than my opponent."

I'm sorry I have a problem with this. D.V.D's and 'youtube' should never be used to learn kata ! These are good ways for academic research etc, but to learn kata you must have a teacher to lead and correct. You'll be in for a nasty shock when you turn up at a Goju Ryu Dojo and ask them .'What do you think of my kata, learned it off a DVD ?' This is based on what happened in the '80's and 90's when instructional videos first appeared.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

I'm sorry I have a problem with this. D.V.D's and 'youtube' should never be used to learn kata ! These are good ways for academic research etc, but to learn kata you must have a teacher to lead and correct. You'll be in for a nasty shock when you turn up at a Goju Ryu Dojo and ask them .'What do you think of my kata, learned it off a DVD ?' This is based on what happened in the '80's and 90's when instructional videos first appeared.

I understand and respect your opinion. However, I believe there is a difference between someone with no martial arts experience trying to learn kata from books and DvDs someone with several years of experience style trying to branch out a little bit. I am not ignorant enough to believe that I will master any of these kata simply through looking at pictures and videos without anyone correcting any of my mistakes. Still, I feel like the Goju Kata are interesting and worth learning for a change of pace from what I am used to.

Plus, it's not clear that an attempt is being made to *become* a Goju stylist so much as to get some new material and ideas to build on their existing base of skill.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Plus, it's not clear that an attempt is being made to *become* a Goju stylist so much as to get some new material and ideas to build on their existing base of skill.

I have no intention to call myself a Goju Ryu stylist after only learning a few kata. I just what to learn some new material to compliment what I already know.

Try any books/DVD's goju ryu(okinawan) - morio higaonna, chojun miyagi and goju kai(japanese)- gogen yamaguchi, goshi yamaguchi, ingo de jong.

Goju ryu and Goju kai are almost identical.All katas and syllabus is identical except that in Japan it was called Gojukai

Good to know. I saw a series of books by Higaonna Sensei that explains kihon, kata, and bunkai. Unfortunately, the books are out of print, so they cost several hundred dollars each. I'll have to keep looking.