• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belt Colours - Why?

For me, belts only serve two functions:

1. Hold my gi closed

2. Provide a visual approximation of a wearer's skill

3. (If you're a sensei, I'm not) A way to organize one's students.

This is just my humble opinion but I think some people, styles, and systems tend to romanticize the martial arts and the belts. I tend to avoid schools that teach the belt is some fancy object with special meaning. For me, a belt is just...a belt. Anything beyond a practical functionality is just hoopla. But don't get me wrong. If this is what a person, style, system wishes to teach, then by all means do it. It's just not for me.

Could it be that belt structures are a crutch for a weak Western mind? I prefer white and when you have the skills your Sensei will advise that you may now wear a black belt. (After completing the grading requirements - whatever that may constitute in your style.)

I am probably one of few that went from white to black twice in their lives. I have, also had moments of great humour when a 'higher grade' student suddenly realizes this white belt in front of him is 'different'. (Again an opportunity of growth by not placing a subconscious value on the skill of an opponent based on the colour of his belt.)

I must confess that coloured belts makes sense in a training session when you have to match students with similar skills.

You are from Sth Africa, have you heard of Kaicho Narker from Ashihara Karate?

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could it be that belt structures are a crutch for a weak Western mind?

How come Western minds are weak? The rank systems were created and used in the East FIRST, so I don't see how it really has anything to do with "Western" minds. There are thousands of Western athletes that train in Martial Arts without any need or desire for rank; they are Boxers and Wrestlers.

Very true. I believe that there are more western fighting systems without a belt system than eastern systems.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I think that the less belts the better. It makes the wearer have to work harder to move up and they hold on to their belts much longer and seem like more of an accomplishment once the next belt is earned.

P.SMy dojo goes white yellow orange green blue brown black.

I think that the less belts the better. It makes the wearer have to work harder to move up and they hold on to their belts much longer and seem like more of an accomplishment once the next belt is earned.

P.SMy dojo goes white yellow orange green blue brown black.

Mine goes White, Blue, Green, Brown and Black, with Blue, Green and Brown receiving two stripes each in between.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/