• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mae Geri Help ?

ZenGuitar

Thanks everybody for your replies. You've all pretty much confirmed what I've been thinking. Even each side of our body is unique and we should pay heed to that and adapt accordingly :)

The only opponent is within.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Main goal while doing a Mae geri is to keep your trunk or center stable.Positioning of your leg should be such that your body is stable and your not leaning backwards or to your sides as this will take away from the kimae of the kick.I find that keeping your leg slightly pointing outwards helps me get more stability and a slight bend in the knee will help you use your hips more.But everyone's center of mass and body is different so as do whatever is comfortable for you....hope that helps....

Yes, this puts things in perfect perspective for me.. if I face my right foot exactly forward then it feels like my left side isn't facing square onwards to the front.. when I kick it's almost like my leg has to kick over to the right to compensate. So by moving my right foot outwards, just a bit, I feel much more stable and the hips are still square on. Thanks guys :)

The only opponent is within.

To quote John Van Weenan MBE, 7th Dan&Chief instructor: Traditional Association of Shotokan Karate and from HIS instructor, Kanazawa Sensei:

''MAE GERI: Front Kick performed from Zenkutsu Dachi is a snap kick acquiring its power from the snapping action of the lower leg aided by the application of the hips.

There are three positions that constitute this kick. Firstly, the kicking leg knee is raised in in front and to the center of the body.

Secondly, the leg is straightened, the hips applied, instep straightened, and the toes curled back.

Thirdly, the leg is snapped back assuming the first position, and with the hips returned to THEIR original position.

The back should be straight and balance maintained.

Balance is a key factor in kicking and keeping the sole of the supporting foot firmly on the floor ensures maximum stability''.

''Board's..........don't hit back'' The late and very great Bruce Lee, in the movie Enter The Dragon.