• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you think of Aikido?

Its difficult to answer that Ghost. As its down to you, and your dedication to it.

Aikido is probably the ANTI - Mauy Thai.

If I list the problems I have with the style, then you can make a better decision:

Hard to find a good school.

Hard to make it work.

Hard to use Ki.

Takes some 4-7 years to be able to use.

Weapons come later in training :(

No "real" blocks.

No Shin kicks.

No full contact sparring.

Why I LOVE Aikido.

Gives a understanding of energy movement.

You learn KATANA!

Wrist locks.

Helps in life, other than Martial Abilities.

Unique Throws.

Great Hertiage.

Can make you a truely powerful person in every sence.

:karate:

Just IMHO ofcourse.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You learn KATANA!

The katana is a very cool weapon, so far I am still stuck with my wooden bokken though :cry:

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

ah... I get to learn the Katanna at 1st dan, 1 more grading :wink:

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

yea will it's still at least 2 more years for me :)

I AM CANADIAN

Thanks

Yeh Ive read all about what aikido involves though i thought only 1 style covered the weapons! Time... i have plenty of, but the only thing that would disuade me from taking it is the lack of schools there are none in my local area but out of interest what would u say makes a good school and are there things u can spot if u go alongfor an induction?

-Give As You Expect To Get-

Well,

Especially in Aikido, make sure the linage is there, as Aikido unlike most arts is VERY easy to trace back to O Sensei.

You also have to have a good feel for it. Make sure the Sensei does not cover everything in the first lesson. Be weary of clubs that do weapons training right at the beginning of your training.

ALL Aikido styles do atleast 3 weapons, Tanto, Bokken and Jo.