• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you think of Aikido?

Actually I went to see my first Judo lesson today.

The club was less informal than I am used to, but I really liked it. I especially enjoyed the Newaza. They did the basic throw Tai-Otoshi. I dont know whether you do this, but when I watch other styles, I always try and find an Aikido escape from whatever the attack maybe. Perhaps thats because I dont think about anything else. :lol:

Yours in Aiki.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kensai,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your Judo training. I personally love Tai Otoshi for Judo style grappling it's very satisfying for me not to have to load uke on my back. But in real world considerations it's a very difficult technique to apply on anyone not wearing a heavy jackt or coat. It's perhaps the hardest of Judo nage waza to adapt to a more aiki approach. I think you'll find that seoi nage and o goshi will be much easier to incorporate into a more aiki blend when dealing with more realistic street attacks. The ne waza on the other hand is liable to increase your pinning skill exponentially if you take the time to learn to apply it.

Good luck on your practice.

Matt Gilliard

Shodan- Yoseikan Aikido

Shodan- Goshin Jujitsu

• 3 weeks later...
hey does n e one know if at yudansha level the uke ( i presume this is the guy who is thrown), actually resists the techniques of the nage? cos right now at my dojo the other guy doesn't resist at all. and with the randori's do they resist or jsut let you throw them. its kinda like that at the seminar's i really dnt get y they dont make the attacks more realistic there.

"Only one who devotes himself to a cause with his whole body and soul can be a true master. For this reason mastery demands all of a person.''-Einstein

Hey again insanity.....

You will soon relise that Aikido is probably not a Martial Art. And in some cases it is not. You should not resist in Aikido, for the simple reason that Aikido is about non-resistance. This is one of the most powerful lessons learnt in Aikido. Why do we not resist?

1. You are new to Aikido Insanity and you would not be able to get it to work against a resisting attacker.........yet.

2. Aikido, whether you like it or not is about Harmony, and hurting people is un-harmonous.

3. To better understand the nature of attacking energy, you need to first need to understand how to redirect it and you cant do that if someone is hanging on to you with all their strength.

There is no problem in question Aikido methods, in fact I am all for it. But you gonna have to stick at it a lot longer to figure it all out. The attacks were never ment to be realistic, but they show you the nature of attacking energy. Once you can control that then the attack itself does not matter. :D

i do aikido 5times a week since last september and i have watched randori from 2nd kyu. Aikido really and I mean gets really effective only after a couple of years of training. But then it is so effective like effective can be

Be everything. Be nothing.

I would have to say that aikido does get effective, albeit eventually. With striking arts, it's relatively easy to learn some basic blocks, punches, kicks, and then spar for a while to get some experience and confidence with real attacks in a short amount of time.

Aikido seems to require much more control and training in terms of balance, timing, centering, and projection in order to even perform the "fundamental" techniques ... against attacks that seem too slow and overcommitted, at least at first. Once into the dan levels, this changes, of course. Thus, it takes a lot more time to get to that same level of confidence in terms of self defense. It seems that aikido is more about "combat theory" that eventually focuses towards application.

I'm currently looking for another art in which to cross train precicely for that reason (this part is in "Combat Martial Arts"). I like aikido, but I would also like to study something that will serve as its counterpart. It's the lack of training in atemi and some (even limited) kind of groundwork focus that I personally see as a bit of a disadvantage to studying aikido. The focus on multiple attackers, weapons, proper body alignment, and blending with attacks, however ... very good.

My opinion, though ... disagree as needed.

Just Read All of this post over the last hour trying to understand it all... oh well ill try again later, but from what i have learnt is that this definatly seems to be one of the more passive MA's Or Methods of learning.

Currently learning Muay Thai wich i find very rewarding when i dont break various parts of my body on my best friends legs :wink: and enjoy it immensly makes the week worth living for me MA's always been my greatest passion after friends and family of course :)

But getting to the point i will probably only studie muay thai for 2 more years and after that or maybe just further on id love to study a MA that would benefit my abbilaties as a fighter but also in understanding the body, tactics and i duno, dont wanna sound corny but better my mind if u will.

Do you think akido would be a wise choice? baring in mind its something i could see myself dedicating alot of my life too wich i cant see with muay thai

Thanks for your time

Pete

-Give As You Expect To Get-