• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you think of Aikido?

I believe there is some weapons work but only for black belts and it isn't mentioned much to us lower ranks except in how weapons relate to kata and kihon. Principle rather than use.

Didn't Kano and Osensei both develope their styles as off shoots from jujutsu? Did they have the same teacher? As innovators from similar backgrounds and times they would either have great admiration or dilike for each other. Do you know anything about their relationship?

One cannot choose to be passive without the option to be aggressive.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much about Aikido, but from what I have read and seen it is pretty effective. I see that a lot of the postings say that it takes along time to master this Art, does anyone know approx how long it takes a typical student to gain mastery of the techiniques

In search of the Temple of Light

Well, O Sensei created Aikido from Daito Ryu Aikijutsu, which dates back some 800 years. I dont really enough about Kano's judo, but as I understand it he created the "soft way", so that there would be less injuries of practicing Judoka. Between O Sensei and Kano there was always a small rivialry, but the both repsected each other greatly.

Master of Aikido techniques, I would say that it takes a life time. But you could defend yourself against the average man, after about a year or so. My Sensei has been practicing for some 30 years and I dont think that she would say that she has mastered it.

Bah, Aikido is a waste of time!!!! not worth learning

Im joking, lol :lol:

Now really, i think its a beatifull Art to learn. can be practiced by anyone from child, to woman, to old and young.

Im considering taking Aikido at some point of my life. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I like Aikido as an art, it's very cool, but i'd not take it to learn self-defense.

it takes too many time for dominate a technique, and all its moves, are very unrealistics.

However, i've seen some Aikido's demostration, and it's very impressive :)

Valencia - Venezuela.

Unrealistic?

Thats your opiniuon. I respect that. I agree it takes time to master. But whats worth doing if it is easy. I have found the techniques to be more than easy to apply, but you must use Ki, not strength. Thats that main thing.

Take Care

Yeah, i think it's unrealistic because the techniques come from attacks that in a real fight never would happen.

I don't know if when you are advanced they teach you techniques for realistic moves, but what i have seen, it's not.

that's my opinion

Valencia - Venezuela.

Perhaps you should go to an Aikido dojo, learn for a year or two then come back and we can talk.

The point of these attacks in Aikido, is that it covers the whole sphere, if you can do something against ANYTHING that enters the sphere, then you are ready for any attack.

Take Care