• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Blocks against knife attack

shinobitribe

A while back I watched a knife defense seminar. They gave the attacker a yellow marker to simulate a knife, then they line up "expert" defenders. One after the other, everyone was getting "marked up."

Wrist grabs, double hand defense, traps, etc. all failed. One main reason was that the attacker was using multiple stabs. And some defenders were able to stop the first stab, they were unable to stop follow up stabs. The overwhelming majority of other people were unable to execute their sophisticated yet complicated knife defense while under pressure.

Until they get to the last guy. The attacker starts with a direct stab to the abdomen. The defender responded with 1 basic low block. The type taught in the first day of all Karate schools. The one that no one ever uses after day one including me.

Because of the impact of this low block, the attacker was momentarily stunned and unable to follow up with multiple stabs. The defender immediately punched the attacker, stunning him again. Then the defender throws the attacker to the ground with a hip throw, mounted him and pounded him with one hand while pinning the attacker's knife hand to the ground with the other hand.

This was the only defender who survived the attack.

It was a big eye openner for me who have for years dismissed the Karate low block as an invitation to punch me in the head. Looking back, it occurs to me that the defender probably practiced that simple worthless low block tens of thousands of times.

I remember years later talking to a Krav Maga coach who explained to me that the mechanics of a knife defense shouldn't be any different than a defend verus a punch, except that timing as to be more dead on.

Anyways, that was my experience. You guys can come to your own conclusion.

I agree that one should keep it simple, but wonder if the only one with any success was just an example of someone with more practice. There are plenty of other very simple ways to defend against a knife attack that work well. Not to mention there are better uses for a down block.

Checkout my Insta and my original music: https://www.instagram.com/andrewmurphy1992/

Poems, Stories, other Writings: https://andrewsnotebook6.wordpress.com/

Youtube: @AndrewMilesMurphy

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Running like your life depends on it.

I would agree to a point, so I would add that I would strategically retreat. Turning your back on a knife attacker could involve being stabbed in the back as you run away!!!!

There's loads of Dojo based knife defences but I would have to say the ONLY ones I would trust to use are the Filipino methods.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

one of the problems with knife defense is that the defender is waiting for the attack. why are you waiting ?? the last thing a knife attacker is expecting is for you to attack him. does anyone realize the shock value of you attacking ?? he expects you to be fearful of the knife when your not you broke his will. a good strong kiai followed be your powerful kicks should do the job. if however, you wish to wait for his attack then stick to your basics , strong blocks followed by powerful attacks. apply your katas to your knife defense. a knife is no different than a club or a hand comming at you.karate is a simple art and your defense should be simple and decisive.

a knife is no different than a club or a hand comming at you

I am willing to place my left hand on a table, put my right fist over my left arm, apply liberal pressure and drag my knuckles across veins arteries and tendons. I will not do so with a knife. Different principles apply.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

a knife is no different than a club or a hand comming at you

I am willing to place my left hand on a table, put my right fist over my left arm, apply liberal pressure and drag my knuckles across veins arteries and tendons. I will not do so with a knife. Different principles apply.

I agree, blunt weapons can be handled differently than edged ones must be. You can grab the striking surface of a blunt object, but not of an edged object.

Also, kicking at someone with a knife to try to overcome their reach without putting your vitals in danger is all good and well, but what happens if the aggressor frequently practices knife fighting? There is a good chance that he's going to slide back and stab you in the ankle, or worse slide up diagonally and slash your femoral artery open or stab you in the lower torso somewhere. I'm not saying that its a bad idea, just that being super aggressive might not get you anywhere with a cool-headed knife fighter.

Luckily, and I don't know this for certain but I have a hunch, most guys who try to stab you probably aren't going to be all that skilled. But against a skilled aggressor who is better armed, defeat is likely and the decisions you make should be based on that fact.

Checkout my Insta and my original music: https://www.instagram.com/andrewmurphy1992/

Poems, Stories, other Writings: https://andrewsnotebook6.wordpress.com/

Youtube: @AndrewMilesMurphy

I think you are correct Drew!

Most numpties on a Friday or Saturday night are p1ssheads who have nought but a flick or pen knife and will not be skilled up in knife fighting.

For them it would be the 'fear' aspect that they rely on.

But we, as MAists, (including us 'newbies', it has to be said!) should be aware of ANY possibility of danger, AT ALL TIMES, because we just DO NOT KNOW what that person has in his hands.

''Board's..........don't hit back'' The late and very great Bruce Lee, in the movie Enter The Dragon.