• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My first kickboxing training day...wow!

Hey everyone, I just got back from my first training day, and i got to say it was the best workout I've had in a long time. I really have to give all of you that have been doing this for a long time a lot of credit...this is tuff.

Anyways, my question is this, about thirty minutes into my workout I just started to breath really hard and i got tired quick. I'm a prety chubby guy so I'm not in the best shape. Can anybody give me a few pointers on exercises that i can do at home to build my stamina and endurance, which is what i need to improve on the most. Even though it was tuff for me i'm not quiting, and i'm sticking with it :D ....so can you guys help me out!!!

Thanks for the advice. :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Joining a gym is the best idea, I do a lot to the carido vascular machines to help with my Aikido training and general fittness. Also really liking the club really hepls you keep going when you REALLY dont feel like it. Which you appear to.

But back to your question.

start with short runs, just to get your fittness up to a level in which you can really start to endure longer onces.

Just try half an hour a day, around your local block. Then nothing to strenuous to begin with, 20 sit ups, 5-10 push ups. With the push ups do a few with your arms far apart, just over shoulder width, then shoulder width, then bring your hands together and form a diamond with your thumb and four figure. These are pretty tricky.

Scrunchs are very good, start in the press up position, then bring your legs up, knee between your arms, then back again. Try 20 or so of those.

I am not really so good at this, but there are lots of people on here that are. Hope I helped somewhat.

Make sure also that you strench well before each exercise, especially if you are not used to it.

Enjoy your kick boxing.

Kensai gives good advice unless you are out of shape, which it sounds like you might be ;) When you are practicing a lot it's hard to work in all the other stuff he mentioned the best thng for you to do is run on every off day.

Rock Paper Scissor

Punch Knee Kick

^ME^ ^MY DOJO^

Congrats on taking the first step but join a MA. As for your exercise anything that gets your heart pumping is great, such as runing, rump rope, burpees... Check out the health and fintness forum for all sorts of exercises :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

Thanks for coming back and filling us in on your first class...

http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=52464&highlight=#52464

...hmm, I hate to say I TOLD YOU SO :D (see above post)

KickChick: "But what you will find is that you are going to get mighty winded in the beginning. May I suggest you start walking/jogging a bit to work on your cardio endurance to at least get you through your class."

Would be cool if they have cardio "kickbox" :up: :nod: ... take a 1-2 classes a week. Many of our TKD students take our cardio kickbox classes to develop more power in the kicks/punches (all kicks/punches are executed on wavemasters) plus developing their endurance level.

You will also burn 700-900 calories a session!

Purchase a good quality Cardio Kickbox video program to do at home ... a bag isn't necessary for just working on cardio endurance.

Take a look through Health & Fitness forum ... Do a "search" keywords (cardio, endurance) in just H & F forum and you should come up with lots of tips.

I have been doing burpees for years, I love them :D It was basicly the thing in the prison workout post in the h&f forum. Here is it's discription

So let's start by explaining how to do the one exercise you'll need, the Burpee.

1. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and your hands raised over your head. Now squat down and place your palms on the floor by your feet.

2. Kick both of your legs back so that you're now in position to do a pushup.

3. Bend your elbows and lower your body until it's about one inch off of the floor.

4. Now push yourself back up and at the end of the pushup quickly pull both knees into your chest while keeping your hands on the floor. You're basically jumping back into the squat position found in the first step.

5. Jump up in the air as high as you can and throw your hands in the air over your head. You're now in the position that you started in, repeat as needed.

Sorry I couldn't find a site with pictures... you'd be amazed how well this exercise works your entire body, try it sometime :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

Thaks for all the tips everyone, and kickchick, thanks for the warning, you were definitely right! This is what my routine will look like for the next month, let me know what you all think.

Monday: 30 min. Cardio, then Kickboxing class.

Tuesday: Weighttraining

Wednesday: Cardio, Kickboxing class

Thursday: Weighttraining

Friday: Off Day

Saturday: Cardio & weightraining

Sunday: Off Day

I will definitely include some of the tips you guys gave me as well, thanks again :)