• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many kata in your style and other questions?

Dobbersky

How many kata in your style and what are they? Do you question its reasoning for being within the syllabus. Do you wish other Kata were within your syllabus? Do you wish that some Kata weren't in your syllabus? And any other questions you may have?

I was looking at another thread and was wondering, in the original Classical Karate probably around 4 - 5 kata were practice and these Kata are considered as complete fighting styles not just 'empty' Forms

In my style we have 18 kata. Sometimes I think it is too many. Sometimes I think I'm Ashihara Karate why do I practice Traditional Kata, I don't know I feel it gives my Karate strong roots. A base from where to grow from. Should I give up some of my traditional kata and if I did which ones do I keep?

Ashihara "Based" Kata are:

Taikyoku Kata 1-3 (my creations)

Shoshin Sho & Dai

Kihon Sho

Kumite Sho & Dai

Nage Sho & Dai

Goshin Dai

Jissen Dai

Traditional Kata are:

Naihanchi Kata

Bassai Kata

Niseishi Kata

Shichi Hoochi Kata (Chil Sung Ee Ro Hyung)

Koryo Kata (WTF Poomsae)

Goshin Jutsu Kata (Kodokan Judo)

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Officially? 9.

It has taken me best part of 30 years to see the relevance (to Kihon Kumite)

So I don't question it - mind you, never have -just didn't understand maybe, but these things take time.

It's all about connecting the dots. That's why I think you can’t do "Wado" kata without practicing / understanding Wado "Kihon Kumite" in tandem.

You need an instructor for that – otherwise Wado kata are very easy to do.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

Matsubayashi-ryu (Shorin-ryu) has 18 kata in the syllabus. They are:

Fukyugata Ichi & Ni

Pinan Shodan - Godan

Naihanchi Shodan - Sandan

Ananku

Tomari Wankan

Tomari Rohai

Tomari Wanshu

Tomari Passai

Gojushiho

Tomari Chinto

Chatan yara no Kusanku

I don't question its reasoning for being within the syllabus, because after continual study (and much more to go) everything becomes a little clearer on why it is there. I sometimes see some other kata and think that they may be useful, but there is something usually contained somewhere that presents the same principles (despite goju type kata). Some people often say that once you have learned Kusanku that there is no need to practice the Pinan kata - and while this may be true, I don't think most people obtain a mastery of Kusanku to a level that should overcome the use of the Pinan kata.

Cheers,

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

In my style there are 12 open hand Kata's. We start off with Tiger Forms taken from an American Kenpo style which are reminiscent of the first 4 Shotokan Kata or the Kicho Hyungs of TSD. Then the 8 traditional IsshinRyu open hand Katas

Seisan

Seiunchin

Naihanchi

Wansu

Chinto

Sanchin

Kusanku

Sunsu

I some times question the Tiger forms. (I'm also a traditionalist.) I do see the benefit though for beginners. They teach basic stance and basic movement. As we are an "American Karate style based in Isshinryu" I have to except the non traditional aspects. When I open my Dojo in the next few years we will be strict Isshinryu. We teach the Kobudo Katas of Isshinryu at my present dojo as well.

Tokomeni No Kun

Urashi

Shishi No Kun

Kusan-Ku Sai

Chantan Yara No Sai

Bo Sai/kumite (Bo vs Sai)

Bo Bo/kumite (Bo vs Bo)

The only ones we don't teach are the Tonfa (tuifa) Kata which I am learning on my own. I studied Tang Soo Do for 12 years before I came to Isshinryu. I must say I love Isshinryu's Katas. they are straight forward and to the point. Little flair and the Bunkai makes sense. I also enjoy the 2 person weapon kumite in Isshinryu. It is a aspect seldom studied in other arts.

"The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of character of its participants."(Master Gichin Funakoshi)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Okinawan-Karate-Do/320221624676804

Pinan Sho Dan

Pinan Ni Dan

Naihanshi Sho Dan

Naihanshi Ni Dan

Naihanshi San Dan

Pinan Yon Dan

Pinan San Dan

Pinan Go Dan

Passai Sho

Matsumura No-Passai

Seisan

Chinto

Kusanku

Goju Shiho

These are the Katas we have for our stlye up to 3rd Dan. My style is Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu.

12 and 26. I think 26 is way too many. But consider Shotokan is 2 styles consolidated into one. They are listed below. I currently practice 8 Goju and 8 Shotokan.

12 kata of Goju Ryu:

gekisai dai ichi *

Gekisai dai-ni *

Saifa *

Seiyunchin *

Shisochin *

Sanseru *

Sepai*

Kururunfa

Sesan

Suparunpei

Sanchin *

Tensho

26 Kata of Shotokan:

Heian Shodan *

Heian Nidan *

Heian Sandan *

Heian Yondan *

Heian Godan *

Tekki Shodan *

Bassai Dai *

Kanku Dai

Enpi *

Sochin

Meikyo

Ji'in

Gojushiho Dai

Jion

Jitte

Hangetsu

Gankaku

Tekki Nidan

Tekki Sandan

Chinte

Bassai Sho

Kanku Sho

Nijushiho

Unsu

Wankan

Gojushiho Sho

(Taikyoku shodan and Dai a few others as well)

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

Hang on, let me count.... 15 total

Taigyoku shodan / nidan

Saifa

Bassai Dai

Seunchin

Enpi

These take you up to 1st Kyu. Then..

Sanseru

Sepai

Hangetsu

Kururunfa

Kanku Dai

Kenku Sho

Shisochin

Seisan

Sochin

It feels like a good balance between the disparate influences on the style, and while I absolutely love kata I like the fact that I am continually working on all of them to my next grade level (not the last 4 yet) and there are not too many to "discard" any. You have to be grade-level competent in all for the gradings, I assume that's the case in most styles though.

Taikyoku Shodan

Fukyugata Ni

Taegeuks 1-8

Heian Godan

Koryo

Keumgam

Choong Moo 3 & 4

Tsu Sho (bo form)

Baston Anyo 1-5 (arnis)

Taebaek

Pyongwon

Sipjin

Jitae

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

@LittleW

Tomari is a village in Okinawa, Japan. I listed them as 'Tomari kata-name' to differentiate them from the various other versions, like Matsumora no Passai or Matsumora no Rohai etc.

As for Tomari being a translation, the only one I can think of is Tomari being the Japanese way of saying Tomai-di.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo