• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ashihara Karate Meaning

Drew

I was wondering if anyone here new what ashihara meant in the context of the karate style. Does it literally mean foot belly karate? Do they have some strange obsession with kicking people in the stomach? Or a focus on those parts of the body in training? These are the only definitions that I know for these words and my dictionary doesn't have anything to add. Thanks in advance.

Checkout my Insta and my original music: https://www.instagram.com/andrewmurphy1992/

Poems, Stories, other Writings: https://andrewsnotebook6.wordpress.com/

Youtube: @AndrewMilesMurphy

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I was wondering if anyone here new what ashihara meant in the context of the karate style. Does it literally mean foot belly karate? Do they have some strange obsession with kicking people in the stomach? Or a focus on those parts of the body in training? These are the only definitions that I know for these words and my dictionary doesn't have anything to add. Thanks in advance.

Ashihara Karate is named after its founder Hideyuki Ashihara.

It is a style of full contact Karate that derives from Kyokushin.

I believe Dobbersky is a dan grade in the style (and also teaches it) so I am sure he will be able to supply you with some more info.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

Ashihara Karate is named after its founder Hideyuki Ashihara.

It is a style of full contact Karate that derives from Kyokushin.

I believe Dobbersky is a dan grade in the style (and also teaches it) so I am sure he will be able to supply you with some more info.

Sojobo

Thanks Sojobo-san

Apologies I wrote this on my Blackberry!!! Will edit later

Yes Ashihara is the name of the founder so "Ashihara Karate" is just like saying "Dobbersky Karate" the core of the style is Sabaki, and the ethos of Kyokushin Karate.

From my concept (my personal opinion) of the name of the founder Ashihara is:

Ashi - Foot

Hara - Centre/Core

Now the Hara or core is extremely important in most of the Asian Arts as this stipulates the centre of balance. Ashi or foot I believe is from the fact that one of our most common techniques is Ashi. Sabaki (foot movement) which is akin to Tai Sabaki (body movement) this is probably the reason why Kancho (head of the style/organisation) decided to use his name for the style instead of creating a 'new' name for the RYU (school).

From what I have learned, Ashihara Karate is the amalgamation of Kyokushin Karate, Muay Thai, Aikido, and SanShou and it was 'tried and tested' in the Bars of Japan and America by Ashihara himself again gang members and other 'types'. Now for the Techniques used within the style I would say a huge majority of the Ashihara Dojos for doing Kihon (basics) is virtually identical to any Kyokushin Dojo. But its where the Kata ta (forms) and Kumite (fighting) is where the style comes into its own. All of the Kata are Jissen(Real Combat) based. It involves body motion, locks, throws & breaks. And we adopt a stance more akin to that of a Thai or Kick boxer. We move around our attacker/opponent using Sabaki etc. Now there are 100's of Videos on Youtube with regards to our kata and kihon etc so I will allow you to find them instead of adding them. The style itself although a Full contact style, including the 'expected' body conditioning is dare I say rather soft and fluid. As the body movement/rotation can only be done when your body is in a relaxed state.

My style of Ashihara has gone further. I have taken my other styles mainly of Wado Ryu and Tang Soo and blended the techniques from them complementing it completely

With regards to Famous fighters 1 of the name of "Semmy Schilt" 4 times K1 champ comes to mind also Enshin which is the "child" of Ashihara has a few Champs too. Although Enshin has more 'Judo-like' techniques on the throws etc

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Ashihara is the originator's family name as I understand it.

It is purely coincidental, I think, that his surname can be broken down to Ashi and Hara.

Like many things in the Japanese language, what sounds like, doesn't always mean....

Ashihara Hideyuki (family name first) is written "芦原 英幸"

However:

Ashi (ie foot) is written - "足"

Hara (ie belly or stomach) is written - "腹"

So I don't think it means the same thing.

Just my understanding, but I could be wrong.

Sojobo

Ashihara is the originator's family name as I understand it.

It is purely coincidental, I think, that his surname can be broken down to Ashi and Hara.

Like many things in the Japanese language, what sounds like, doesn't always mean....

Ashihara Hideyuki (family name first) is written "?? ??"

However:

Ashi (ie foot) is written - "?"

Hara (ie belly or stomach) is written - "?"

So I don't think it means the same thing.

Just my understanding, but I could be wrong.

Sojobo

Totally agree with you on that point, its just 'my' only understanding of why it became known as "Ashihara Karate" and not "JissenKai" or some other name which is more in line with Japanese ethos when it comes to naming Ryu. A bit like Gokan or Go-kan for GKR the Kanji meaning a different thing than the way its pronounced!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Naming a school after it's originator is quite common as I understand it.

Either way. In your response, there were question-marks??

Were you unable to read the characters I posted?

Sojobo

Thanks to the both of you.

Checkout my Insta and my original music: https://www.instagram.com/andrewmurphy1992/

Poems, Stories, other Writings: https://andrewsnotebook6.wordpress.com/

Youtube: @AndrewMilesMurphy

Naming a school after it's originator is quite common as I understand it.

Either way. In your response, there were question-marks??

Were you unable to read the characters I posted?

Sojobo

The Characters were not On my Blackberry no, but after seeing them on my Computer I can see them now.

I thank you Sojobo for you assistance. looking forward to training with you this year at your Dojo, it would be an honour

I thank you Sojobo for you assistance. looking forward to training with you this year at your Dojo, it would be an honour

You would be more than welcome.

Sojobo