• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Long layoff and planning a return: can I retain my grade?

logan10

Hello all,

I achieved my 1st Dan in Shotokan Karate in 1995 and stopped training in 1996; a 15 year break. During this period I have maintained good fitness, flexibility and an on-going interest in martial arts (although not actively practising).

I still remember all Katas to black belt and feel confident, within a short period, I could return to a similar standard prior to leaving my former club.

I have my original licence and grading book supplied by the British Shotokan Federation; fully completed with the date passed, examiner name, etc., so can verify all grades achieved from 9 KYU to 1 Dan.

I am currently searching for a good Shotokan club in my area (Swindon, UK), but I would welcome and appreciate your thoughts on whether or not I would be able to retain my current (former) grade of 1st Dan, providing I can demonstrate the prerequisite ability and technical competence.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Logan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would allow you to keep your grade, if an adult grade, if you attended my dojo, you would have to reach the standards I require and learn all the Kata etc needed before I would grade you to Nidan though.

If you stay with Shotokan it would be dependant on the Dojo and the Senior Instructor. Welcome back to the fold, OSU!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I would allow you to keep your grade, if an adult grade, if you attended my dojo, you would have to reach the standards I require and learn all the Kata etc needed before I would grade you to Nidan though.

If you stay with Shotokan it would be dependant on the Dojo and the Senior Instructor. Welcome back to the fold, OSU!!!

Agreed.

It's usually instructor preference here, and they will hold you to the standards of their dojo and make sure you fit their requirements before you advance anymore.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

A lot of dojos I know of start you off with a white belt in an intermediate class then have you test up to the rank they think you should be at at their next scheduled testing.

This my friend is where Politics comes in, I used to be like this mainly because I had to wear a white belt if I went to other dojos. I decided its enough, I had to make a stand. A black belt is earned for a reason. And should be honoured because of the level achieved!!!

I have been championing this in the NGB I belong to, so far its going well!!!

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I'd agree and haven't seen a school that did anything BUT this practice when it comes to returning to a style that you're graded in.

Seriously?

Train for the sake of training!!

If your dan grade means that to you - you don't understand what it means to be a dan grade!!

In my group, new students with previous experience in other styles / groups are allowed to wear their belt for 6 months (in order that they can assimilate the ways of the school). After this time, they are asked to "apply" to take an examination for any grade they wish!!

The senior instructors of the association then award them the grade if they see fit, failing this, they will recommend an appropriate grade.

If the applicant doesn't like that - then they’re not for us.

sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

Seriously?

If your dan grade means that to you - you don't understand what it means to be a dan grade!!

In my group, new students with previous experience in other styles / groups are allowed to wear their belt for 6 months (in order that they can assimilate the ways of the school). After this time, they are asked to "apply" to take an examination for any grade they wish!!

The senior instructors of the association then award them the grade if they see fit, failing this, they will recommend an appropriate grade.

If the applicant doesn't like that - then they’re not for us.

sojobo

That is an incredibly interesting way to do it. I like that a lot.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

That is reassuring to know - thank you very much for all your replies, it is much appreciated.

In response to sojobo, thank you for your comment and I completely agree and understand your rationale. My interest in retaining my current grade was not driven by any egotistical desire to once again wear the black belt (although this would be nice). I am motivated to continue at this level, so I can be exposed to more advanced concepts and more challenging techniques. Whilst I acknowledge the importance of fundamentals and basic technique, I would be less interested in going back to the start, as I already have a good handle on the basics. I hope this clarifies my position.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Cheers

Seriously?

I get where you're coming from here. I used to really be on board with it. However, after hearing Robson Moura talk about belt rank, I'm not as militant on this as I used to be.

His point, and I think a valid one, is that you shouldn't just go with the "rank isn't important" argument. That belt is important to you. It symbolizes, or should, a whole heck of a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and time; not to mention money. If you've invested that much into a symbol then it should mean something to you and you should want to wear it.

Would you let someone take your B.S. away just because you graduated college 15 years ago and weren't working in the field that your degree is in? Doubtful, nor would anyone expect you to shred it, ignore it, or pretend in didn't exist.