• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring: Developing Good Footwork

Thanks again. On reflection there is one particular combination we use a crossover step for. A punching technique we only use in mirror stance (eg right handed versus left handed) so we can get outside our opponents line. I only teach it to advanced fighters but I guess there is a time and place for everything.

One fundamental difference in the rule set (and correct me if I’m wrong) is that we are allowed to sweep and throw. Any kick can leave you vulnerable at an elite level but a crossover step to kick probably more so than most.

Yes most Taekwondo rules don't allow for sweeps or throws (wish we could). That said, crossing the feet together still leaves you very vulnerable to side kicks and back kicks knocking you off balance. These are the two staple kicks for us and they tend to train them till they're very fast. Being caught in the foot-to-foot crossover position is very dangerous indeed.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Thanks again. On reflection there is one particular combination we use a crossover step for. A punching technique we only use in mirror stance (eg right handed versus left handed) so we can get outside our opponents line. I only teach it to advanced fighters but I guess there is a time and place for everything.

One fundamental difference in the rule set (and correct me if I’m wrong) is that we are allowed to sweep and throw. Any kick can leave you vulnerable at an elite level but a crossover step to kick probably more so than most.

Yes most Taekwondo rules don't allow for sweeps or throws (wish we could). That said, crossing the feet together still leaves you very vulnerable to side kicks and back kicks knocking you off balance. These are the two staple kicks for us and they tend to train them till they're very fast. Being caught in the foot-to-foot crossover position is very dangerous indeed.

We don't sweep or throw, either. I would enjoy training to do that, though. Although, for as vulnerable that kicking is supposed to leave the kicker, especially high kicking, I don't really see a lot of sweeping kickers at the MMA level. I don't ever really see the kicks get caught, either, which is another big concern you hear when it comes to using high kicks in defense. No doubt, the threat is there, but I don't see it as much as one might think.

Those who sweep, imho, are going to get open themselves in a way that will cost them if the sweep is slow and/or disjointed. However, I believe that close range sweeps will fair far much better.

Those TRYING to catch a kick are nearly impossible because a fast moving kick is attached...to a leg. A slow clumsy kick would fair far much better...OR...a kick that hangs in the air because it's not sharp and crisp and clean in and out of the meant target.

We'll not see these often because it's not that the technique is low, but the confidence to pull them off is low.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 5 months later...

As a fencing coach, I'd wholeheartedly recommend anyone looking for ideas on movement visit a reputable fencing salle and try some footwork classes. Fencing is almost nothing but footwork.

On topic, I've been wondering about "in the round" drills--thanks!

A part-time fencing coach who just started RHKK after sharing space with them for years. Spent several years in TKD and Hapkido.

As a fencing coach, I'd wholeheartedly recommend anyone looking for ideas on movement visit a reputable fencing salle and try some footwork classes. Fencing is almost nothing but footwork.

On topic, I've been wondering about "in the round" drills--thanks!

Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

:bowofrespect:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Great article, Danielle, excellent!!

Footwork, imho, is at the heart of sparring's do's and don'ts. Without one understanding footwork, one will just basically trip over themselves.

:)

Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

:bowofrespect: