• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

quandary for you all

srb

Because you don't have an option, you can't really concern yourself with the fact that you don't have one. Certificates only ever mean anything within the confines of the school/organization that awarded it. If someone wants to have a certificate under some big organization, your school isn't the right one for them anyway. You should be honest with them about that. If they try out a class and like what you do, they'll train. If they don't, they won't. You can't be everything to everyone. Don't continue wasting energy on something that is, ultimately, unimportant.

I agree, however, part of it is getting people in the door and this is a good way to do that. Teach how you're going to teach regardless of what anyone says. The ones that like it will stay, and the ones that don't will go, it's always been this way. However, if the thing that gets people in the door is a piece of paper, you better believe that I'll get that piece of paper.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
well, in all honesty there was no organization so to speak that we were told about. on our certificates it has Karate Jutsu (the way in which it was taught). as far as finding other students there gone or don't teach any longer nor wish to. Yeah, i'm pretty much at a stand still at this point. matsumura seito was the branch.

Where did your sensei teach? I would wager that most high ranking Matsumura Seito people are going to know Phil Koeppel (honestly, most American karateka seem to know of him, at least) so that might be somewhere to start if you are concerned about being legitimized by a recognizable organization/figure. That said, if your dojo wasn't part of any organization then there may be a reason for that and it really doesn't matter whether you have a certificate or not. As others have mentioned, you really just need to be able to demonstrate legitimate skill and teaching ability.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

what's the point of being with an organization? I mean it really doesn't bother me if I am part of one or not. I don't see were being legit has anything to do with being part of an organization. Just my opinion.

Then don't, it really is up to you. My teacher wasn't certified officially with a Shorin Ryu association and I think I turned out to be a pretty good black belt.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Bummer, and sorry for your loss. I see you study shorin ryu. I'm under the impression that they have a fairly well organized structure, so maybe try going thru your organization. I'd guess that by 3rd dan you'd have exposure to some of the workings of it. Start there and go up the line from your instructor. His coach and up. That's probably the best way.

Past that, you're kind of our of luck. Possibly go thru other blackbelts that were present at your promotion?

Other than that, hang your second and go to work. Good luck, let us know how it works out.

I think this would be the best way to go. Are you affiliated with an organization? If so, look to the headquarters for some advise, as well.

Sorry for you loss, and I hope things work out for you. :karate: