• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

quandary for you all

srb

hi all;

i've got a quandary for you. I am wanting to start my own dojo and I am a 3rd dan, but here's my dilemma. I don't have my certificate, i passed the test and all (quite a while back and figured i would try and start one up this year if possible, and to be quite honest not having my certificate hadn't bothered me up till this point). but before I could actually get my certificate sadly my master passed away, what can i do? not sure what to do any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

s.r.b.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bummer, and sorry for your loss. I see you study shorin ryu. I'm under the impression that they have a fairly well organized structure, so maybe try going thru your organization. I'd guess that by 3rd dan you'd have exposure to some of the workings of it. Start there and go up the line from your instructor. His coach and up. That's probably the best way.

Past that, you're kind of our of luck. Possibly go thru other blackbelts that were present at your promotion?

Other than that, hang your second and go to work. Good luck, let us know how it works out.

If you desire to have one go up the chain of command for your system. You might have to prove yourself once again but it would be worth it if it is something you desire to have. It would be required if you wanted to be recognized in the hierarchy of your system. However, start teaching now while you're waiting, it's not until black belt students come along that having a certificate would become as useful as it could be, although throughout the training it does have it's many uses.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

If you desire to have one go up the chain of command for your system. You might have to prove yourself once again but it would be worth it if it is something you desire to have. It would be required if you wanted to be recognized in the hierarchy of your system. However, start teaching now while you're waiting, it's not until black belt students come along that having a certificate would become as useful as it could be, although throughout the training it does have it's many uses.

Exactly this! What Shorin-Ryu organization did your instructor belong to? That organization should have record of your testing that they can provide. I would think that other black belts under your instructor who do have certificates would be able to confirm your rank for anyone who is curious in the meantime.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I see you study shorin ryu. I'm under the impression that they have a fairly well organized structure, so maybe try going thru your organization.

Absolutely it does. Shorin Ryu has an extremely structured organization. What branch of Shorin Ryu do you study?

If you're affiliated with an organization, there should be someone who can print your certificate.

If you're not affiliated with anyone, it doesn't really matter anyway. All the standards and promotions are at your discretion anyway. No one is going to care if you have a certificate on your wall as long as you have a skill you can teach them.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

well, in all honesty there was no organization so to speak that we were told about. on our certificates it has Karate Jutsu (the way in which it was taught). as far as finding other students there gone or don't teach any longer nor wish to. Yeah, i'm pretty much at a stand still at this point. matsumura seito was the branch.

No one is going to care if you have a certificate on your wall as long as you have a skill you can teach them.

I would say that this is true and not true. There are a lot of people who study before they jump, and rightly so, and a lot will be looking for some accreditation from some sort of organization. If he doesn't have it he could lose some students.

However this would only hinder at first, until the dojo has a name for itself. Otherwise being part of an organization would do great for networking.

No one is going to care if you have a certificate on your wall as long as you have a skill you can teach them.

I would say that this is true and not true. There are a lot of people who study before they jump, and rightly so, and a lot will be looking for some accreditation from some sort of organization. If he doesn't have it he could lose some students.

However this would only hinder at first, until the dojo has a name for itself. Otherwise being part of an organization would do great for networking.

Because you don't have an option, you can't really concern yourself with the fact that you don't have one. Certificates only ever mean anything within the confines of the school/organization that awarded it. If someone wants to have a certificate under some big organization, your school isn't the right one for them anyway. You should be honest with them about that. If they try out a class and like what you do, they'll train. If they don't, they won't. You can't be everything to everyone. Don't continue wasting energy on something that is, ultimately, unimportant.

That said, there are places online and various local and regional orgs that will certify your rank. However, most are considered shady and not legitimate. I would not suggest using them, but a google search will help you find them if you desire.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Perfect! Master Coffman has S.M.O.K.A. that he lets people join if they prove themselves. He taught Gagne who taught my teacher. Coffman learned under Fusei Kise and Hohan Soken. A more than capable martial artist. He is probably one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) name is America for Matusumura Seito. He has a website: http://www.smoka-usa.com/

Check him out, shoot some emails to the officers, you should have little trouble getting certified if you are legitimate in the eyes of that organization. It's a great organization, and once I'm in a place to start my own school it will be the organization that I latch on to most likely.