• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black Belt thesis

Hello everyone:

I've recently received my "black belt handbook" which has included in it all the requirements for testing for 1st Dan, as well as all of the additional requirements for testing up through 4th Dan. The plan is to test for 1st Dan during the middle of March, provided my work schedule allows me to complete the many requirements. I've been told by my senior instructor that even though the handbook says that certain parts can not be waived (assisting with a color belt testing at another federation school), it may be possible in my case due to my schedule

One of the requirements for 1st Dan is the writing of a 5 page thesis. This is to be autobiographical in nature, and detail what you've received through taking martial arts, how martial arts have changed your life, future goals, etc.

I had never heard of this requirement before, and I was stressing about it until I actually sat down to write it. With a little bit of thought, and a couple of hours effort I was able to knock out my first draft with very little trouble. I still need to "tweak" it to improve on what I'm trying to say, and of course fix my many spelling and grammatical errors.

Did anyone else have this requirement? Do you currently have a similar requirement? What's your take on the reasoning behind this requirement?

Thanks. I'm just curious

Exco

1st Dan Black Belt- Tang Soo Do

Certified Assistant Instructor Tang Soo Do

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was not required to write a thesis, nor spend days doing a dan test. I tested before the head of my system, Grand Master Kuda Yuichi and my shodan test lasted maybe 10-15 minutes.

He called me to the front of the room, asked me to do specific techniques and kata, then motioned me to sit back down.

I passed.

As for my opinion of a thesis? I see no need for it, but if that is the requirement in the system you've chosen, then you must accept it as a requirement for the test.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

This is actually fairly common thing. I had to do one, although I can't remember the page requirement. I actually like this requirement because taking a martial art is a journey, and it does change your life. Being a black belt is also a responsibility, and not something to be taken lightly. It not only speaks to what you've accomplished, but you become a representative of the school, it takes maturity to be a black belt and the instructor needs to make sure that you can handle it, and that this journey has actually made some sort of impact on your life.

Good luck at your test, it's a big one.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I've done it both ways-the 10 minute test and the 3 day test. If you are strictly looking at skill/technique then 10 minutes is OK but if you are looking for more than that,pushing a student to their breaking point (and beyond) is a better test and each system tailors their test accordingly. I personally have written many papers for promotional exams and have found each one personally satisfying and valuable to write-regardless of the topic. Knowledge and insight are important too.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I was required to write a thesis as part of the requirement for my instructor certification when I was with the ATA. I still have it, and go back to look it over from time to time. My current instructor now requires a one-pager from black belt test candidates, titled, "What Does Getting My Black Belt Mean To Me?" I think its a good idea. I believe our GM now requires something similar upon testing for master rank.

OK thanks for the responses. I asked mainly because I was curious.

I'm fully prepared to do what ever is needed to fulfill the requirements of our organization to earn my black belt.

I've also accepted that due to my work schedule that I may not be able to do so during the current testing cycle. I have been training since May of '06 so it's been a long journey so another few months won't hurt me, it'll just give me a little more time to be truly ready.

Exco

1st Dan Black Belt- Tang Soo Do

Certified Assistant Instructor Tang Soo Do

I had to do an oral presentation once about the art I was testing for. I've been associated with guys who did require a written component. Conversely, I've been at schools where you just get handed your belt at a seminar as well.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer in regards to this. Personally, I've handed out two black belts my entire career in ma's. I've required written exams of neither. That said, I like the idea. I want guys who reach that level to have a certain level of thought about their chosen field, to be well read in regards to it. This is a nice way to show it.

I fully expect vehement disagreement on this, but I don't really feel that literacy should be required. I know people smarter than myself, who, while not martial artists, are knowledgeable in their own area yet read at a 5th grade level.

I agree with the idea that there should be a level of thought, but there should be an alternative to a written paper.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I fully expect vehement disagreement on this, but I don't really feel that literacy should be required. I know people smarter than myself, who, while not martial artists, are knowledgeable in their own area yet read at a 5th grade level.

I agree with the idea that there should be a level of thought, but there should be an alternative to a written paper.

To each his own I guess. This is just about personal preference and I've seen good and bad black belts come out of both ways.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

We require this at 1st and 4th dan. At 1st, its just an internal school thing where you can write about anything you like within the style. Most people do what the belt means and their journey in the art, but we've had some pretty interesting ones over the years; one guy who was heavily into maths did one of the mechanics of a punch.. At 4th its a more indepth analysis of something and gets sent off to the organization headquarters.

I think its just a nice way of showing what you understand and taking a deeper look into your style. If people genuinely struggle at reading and writing, I think they can do an oral presentation instead.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius