• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm Afraid...

>I'm afraid of the punch that doesn't penetrate.

>I'm afraid of the kick the doesn't cause harm.

>I'm afraid of the block that doesn't deflect.

>I'm afraid of the strike that doesn't break.

>I'm afraid of the application that's not effective.

Too often, as practitioners of the martial arts will do, we train; but I fear that many practitioners train reserved. Many are taught, for example, when they spar, to stop/arrest any said technique within a hair's-breadth of any said target for safeties sake, and then its realized and reinforced at some local weekend tournament.

What happens when the technique counts and it doesn't because of practices that are honed in us?

As an instructor, I'm responsible for what and how I teach my students. I'd hate to train my students for tournaments and belts only because there are limits to that type of constant training, imho.

On a closing note, live training is critical, and in that, live contact should be paramount. That's why I teach my student to be that resisting Uke when training, for example, in Tuite, but only after the technique/application has been taught.

I look forward to your responses...thank you.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree with you wholeheartedly. My students and training partners are people who I care about a lot. In the event that they must defend themselves, it is of great importance that they have trained in a manner that will give them the skills needed to survive. Training without honest feedback, which means actually hitting and being hit and tapping a lot) can develop habits that will get you killed.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I agree with you absolutely. Any martial art should be about defending yourself. That's certainly what they were created for, and I feel that a lot of that spirit has been lost in the long run.

I would like to say that whereas tournaments can create bad habits, it's up to the teachers to explain that it is a fun thing that is set up for everyone, but should not by any means be taken to heart as how an actual fight will happen. Then it's up to the student to understand that and move one from there because, lets face it, tournaments can be fun, and they are a great way to network and to set up opportunities to cross train and hold seminars so that both the teachers and the students can continue to grow in their training.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Great points Zaine. How many laypersons will judge an instructor by how many trophies adorn their school? As well as how many laypersons will judge an instructor and/or a student by one tournament loss, no matter the division?

Edited by sensei8

Great points Zaine. How many laypersons will judge an instructor by how many trophies adorn their school. As well as how many laypersons will judge an instructor and/or a student by one tournament loss, no matter the division.

It is sad that people do this though, but you can't blame someone for not knowing any better. If more people did some research on what a good school is and tried to find a school that was going to teach them self defense and drill the correct things and how to be humble we wouldn't have the negative that martial arts has now. Not that sports karate isn't bad. It is a great exercise and there are clubs out there who teach both sides, but being the traditionalist that I am it does irk me when in a sparring match I see someone do a double gainer.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Again, solid points Zaine.

If someone's instructor loses at a local tournament or at a UFC event; that shouldn't lessen that instructor in the eyes of his/hers students, students' parents/friends, and/or the layperson...

Everyone losses from time to time! I'd only take a serious note of someones losing at any said venue only if that same individual lost all of the time.

Working in that level of resistance that is safe yet appropriate for realism can be tough to find. Its important, however, as instructors, to take the steps necessary to find that level, and provide our students with the best possible outcomes of self-defense training.