• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Staying at my current club: A quick moral question.

rhilllakefield

Everyone hits a low when they become Yudansha as before then there were gradings every few months now you are 'responsible' for your own training.

As my instructor once told us - when you are kyu grades you are "collectors" of techniques.

At dan grade, it is not so much collecting as "realising" what you have picked up.

... and that is a lonely journey at time.

Re: class numbers, in my Koryu dojo there is often only two of us that train. I take this as a positive, as I am getting more of my instructor’s time.

Numbers tend to pick up in the new year - so maybe that will be the boost the club needs.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hi guys/ girls,

Just a quick question to bounce off any instructors or long time practisioners.

I've been with my current club for close to 3 years. I've enjoyed my time with the club, and my instructor is excellent.

I earned my shodan as of October this year, so I feel a connection with my instructor and club (to a lesser extent) I've trained for most of my life, starting in Kyokushin, then moving to english Ishinryu, which is a close cousin with a few changes.

Long story short, the numbers are dropping, my instructors moral is changing, and the class isnt really challenging any more, because we're traing at a lower level, both intensity and material. the other aspect is my knees have started to ache on a regular basis, because we train on concrete and there isnt much give with running, jumping jacks etc..

There are also things I miss about Kyokushin, or even my time with kickboxing. We don't really even spar in this club, because the number of experienced adults is down to one or two at the very most.

Should I feel badly about changing clubs, or even disciplines? I feel a tie to my instructor, even though the club isnt really ideal, she pushed me harder than Ive ever been pushed for my blackbelt, and helped me acheive a huge goal in life.

Any thoughts. Sorry its long winded, slow day today.

Ryan

Move on.