• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Staying at my current club: A quick moral question.

rhilllakefield

Hi guys/ girls,

Just a quick question to bounce off any instructors or long time practisioners.

I've been with my current club for close to 3 years. I've enjoyed my time with the club, and my instructor is excellent.

I earned my shodan as of October this year, so I feel a connection with my instructor and club (to a lesser extent) I've trained for most of my life, starting in Kyokushin, then moving to english Ishinryu, which is a close cousin with a few changes.

Long story short, the numbers are dropping, my instructors moral is changing, and the class isnt really challenging any more, because we're traing at a lower level, both intensity and material. the other aspect is my knees have started to ache on a regular basis, because we train on concrete and there isnt much give with running, jumping jacks etc..

There are also things I miss about Kyokushin, or even my time with kickboxing. We don't really even spar in this club, because the number of experienced adults is down to one or two at the very most.

Should I feel badly about changing clubs, or even disciplines? I feel a tie to my instructor, even though the club isnt really ideal, she pushed me harder than Ive ever been pushed for my blackbelt, and helped me acheive a huge goal in life.

Any thoughts. Sorry its long winded, slow day today.

Ryan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ryan,

First and foremost, welcome to KarateForums.com.

Secondly, congratulations on earning your Shodan...an accomplishment in itself, imho.

Thirdly, you shouldn't feel badly about wanting to change clubs and/or styles. Your martial arts is yours and yours alone, and no one should try to make your martial arts theirs.

Having said that Ryan, you've noted reasons for pondering your MA path, and your reasons are viable, but more importantly, you have the absolute right to your reasons. Inasmuch, you're not contemplating to quit, to me, that's the most important thing to remember. You're just wanting a change, and change is inevitable and change needs to be embraced.

It also sounds to me that with all of the negative things, i.e. instructor moral, numbers dropping, non-challenged training, etc, it appears that change is exactly what you need and what you want. I applaud your courage because it takes courage to recognize and respect change. Change is scary to some because of the unknown. I believe that whatever it is that you finally decide, you'll be fine.

Your MA betterment requires it of you. Be true to your MA path and remember, it's YOUR path. Be proud of your path!!

I don't have to approve of your decision, but I must respect it; I wholeheartedly do!!

Good luck!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Ryan

As A Yudansha, even the most basic of techniques has a million avenues to go down!

All because you're doing the first kata, don't treat it like a beginner would treat it like a Yudansha Would!!!!

Sparring etc is neither here nor there. Possibly suggest that 1 a month etc the class would be a sparring Class etc.

What is the Levels of students there. are there a few gaps between the levels etc.

Everyone hits a low when they become Yudansha as before then there were gradings every few months now you are 'responsible' for your own training.

Just focus more on your style and look into the kata, make each kata your own. starting with the first. look for possible uses for each technique within the kata etc. this in context is your sparring whilst you are studying Bunkai

OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Ryan

As A Yudansha, even the most basic of techniques has a million avenues to go down!

All because you're doing the first kata, don't treat it like a beginner would treat it like a Yudansha Would!!!!

Sparring etc is neither here nor there. Possibly suggest that 1 a month etc the class would be a sparring Class etc.

What is the Levels of students there. are there a few gaps between the levels etc.

Everyone hits a low when they become Yudansha as before then there were gradings every few months now you are 'responsible' for your own training.

Just focus more on your style and look into the kata, make each kata your own. starting with the first. look for possible uses for each technique within the kata etc. this in context is your sparring whilst you are studying Bunkai

OSU

Solid post!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks for both replies!

I appreciate the feedback on my thought to change, and also the idea of making the club work for me. Both I've thought about, and am still struggling.

The downside is, regardless of if I stay or not, the club most likely wont last into this time next year due to the lack in students.

I feel badly, because my instructor has trained her entire life in this style, and has no interest in starting over again. I'm to the point now where it feels a bit strange training with literally one or two other students beside me, usually 10-12 years old and a junior belt. Its really not ideal, I just have this feeling of guilt for moving on.

I wouldn't feel guilty, instructors are good at understanding this sort of thing, even if it bruises their egos a bit. I would express my concerns to the teacher though, especially if you feel connected to them in one way or another. Being upfront about how you feel to an instructor is infinitely important to me, and I would want any student that I would have to feel comfortable enough to come to me with questions or concerns about the direction that the school is taking.

That being said, Dobbersky is absolutely right. Don't think that just because it's all basics doesn't mean you're not learning anything. I know that it's exciting to have something new and exciting to learn, but my instructor used to tell us that for every time you did a new kata, you should do the old one twice. Basics are the foundation, and without foundation your house will crumble and fall away. If it's new stuff that challenges you that you want, go up to the teacher and ask if she'll teach you something new after class, my instructor loved that. It's not your instructors job to make sure you have new stuff to learn, it's your instructors job to give you enough to be able to defend yourself, after that it's up to you to drill it until it's so imprinted upon your mind that you don't have to think when you do it.

Good luck to you on whatever you decide.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I don't think that there would be anything wrong with leaving for those reasons, provided you explained them to your Sensei and didn't just leave without saying a word. That said, I don't know that leaving would really be necessary. Is there a reason the instructor can't work with you more to challenge you, personally? Is there a reason you cannot visit other dojos to spar? Is there a reason you can't wear shoes when you train to relieve the stress on your knees? These are just some questions that I think you should ask yourself before you make a decision. In the end, the decision is yours to make and you certainly have valid reasons for wanting a change.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Thanks again.

Either way, I'm going to be honest with my instructor, thats a given.

I've said from the beginning I'm going to go down with the ship, so it might be worth sticking with her just because of that.

If I do stay, I'll probably end up picking up some martial art shoes, and asking for some training beyod what we're doing regularly. She's always willing to come 1/2 an hour early to work with me, but lately its been full of complaining about the class sizes....from both of us.

Thirdly, you shouldn't feel badly about wanting to change clubs and/or styles. Your martial arts is yours and yours alone, and no one should try to make your martial arts theirs.

Having said that Ryan, you've noted reasons for pondering your MA path, and your reasons are viable, but more importantly, you have the absolute right to your reasons. Inasmuch, you're not contemplating to quit, to me, that's the most important thing to remember. You're just wanting a change, and change is inevitable and change needs to be embraced.

It also sounds to me that with all of the negative things, i.e. instructor moral, numbers dropping, non-challenged training, etc, it appears that change is exactly what you need and what you want. I applaud your courage because it takes courage to recognize and respect change. Change is scary to some because of the unknown. I believe that whatever it is that you finally decide, you'll be fine.

Talk to your instructor, perhaps he can make some changes. If not don't feel bad about moving on, as you are on your own journey.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

It can be tough to break ties with those who we feel have become a part of our lives. But, in the end, its important to make a decision that you will benefit from. Sometimes, it can be a hard choice. You could speak with your instructor and tell her your thoughts; this may help you feel better about your feelings, especially by being up front about them.

In the end, the choice is yours alone, and it really isn't for anyone else to say if it is right or wrong.