• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nice BJJ in a LE setting

Check this find out. It's a secuirty officer dealing with a non compliant suspect. He gets railed in the comments section, but I have to applaud the efforts. No one gets beat down, sprayed, hit with a stick multiple times. Nice work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl76jcW-sHs&feature=player_embedded

Our problem is that it's rare to find an agency, at least in Illinois, that will autorize these tactics in other than deadly force altercations. Then, of course, since we haven't practiced them no one knows how to use them.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I concur with the both of you.

The choke wasn't a choke to harm, but a choke to control until the other security officer applied the cuffs.

I'm no LEO, but aren't the powers of a security guard much more lesser than those of a LEO?!? I didn't see anything from either of the security guards that would warrant any legal problems for their actions. Did you?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I am perfectly okay with the force used. I don't know what if any ramifications there were from the security company. Certainly, I don't think law enforcement would be in a hurry to press the issue.

Cuffing in the front just lets him keep his arms free to engage you later, makes it easier for him to manipulate objects to hurt you, and open doors and such to escape. I think you can make a case for past behavior and non-compliance enough to justify the additional control. He's already attempted to evade custody once, why let him again.

The other option would be to crank on pain compliance until he submits and risks injury to the suspect, or causes him to fight in which case now we're escalating to non-empty hands methods of dealing with said bad guy, strikes, spray, baton, ect. Which get us second guessed all the time by a public that does not routinely have to fight with bad guys.

I thought the force used was spot on. Unfortunately, the general public has a "freak out" affect when they see someone else messing with someone's neck/throat area. They don't understand, and are used to seeing the way violence is portrayed on TV and whatnot. I think this guy would have no trouble being able to justify his actions in court, with no repercussions.

As for the comments posted afterwards, I'd render a guess that most of them are from people who have never tried to control and detain someone before, especially in an LE scenario. Cops never win in situations like this, because the general public is pretty much naive in regards to what we have to do when dealing with people, and how our hands are tied in actually dealing with them.

By putting an actively resisting suspect to sleep, you neutralize that threat in its entirety, and the guy will likely have very little, if any, injury to show for it. And if he holds rank in BJJ, he can likely articulate how he knows when to release a choke. It also appeared that he knew something about how to revive someone, helping his case further, in my opinion.

As for cuffing him from behind goes, that is exactly what I would do with someone, especially after they run. Even after they stood him up, he still showed that he was agitated, and showed signs of futher resistance. Cuffing behind takes away options he has. And it is much easier to cuff an unconscious subject than a resisting suspect, and by cuffing while unconscious, he probably did the suspect a favor by eliminating the chance for him to struggle while being cuffed, and thus injuring himself further.

Kudos to this guy. This should be used as training footage for proper use of head and neck restraint techniques and tactics for LEOs.

I always laugh at this video. I love how he has to explain to the guy what just happened after he wakes up. So funny to me.

A far as use of force, it is perfect. Won't even leave a mark on the guy. No lasting damage and effective. No one injured, no escalation in terms of weapons use. I love it.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

You couldn't ask for a better out come. For the both parties. No one was injured, sprayed, beaten etc. I wish every time an officer had to detain someone and there was resistance it went that smoothly.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I too have no problems at all with anything that the security officer had to do!!

I asked the question about the amount of limited "powers" of a security officer because I've read about where the police have had to arrest a security officer because that security officer "...had no legal right or jurisdiction in which to administer".

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I find it interesting that it's repeatedly stated that the security officer has "limited" power ? Having worked security, and trained L.E./Security(for many years) a Security officer (in many ways) has greater flexibility in how/what form their response may be to a given situation. At least in Missouri, a security officer (any, private or corporate) can use what ever level of response they feel necessary to control and/or remove an individual from a premises that they have authority in/over. They can (legally) beat you into a blood puddle if they feel “threatened” (enough) to do so. An officer can't, they are restricted by a much greater list of constraints imposed by department policy. At first this sounds “unfair” (though not in my opinion), a police officer is also allowed to carry a firearm (and use it with greater freedom than any “security guard”).

I didn't really feel the “blackout” was necessary (he actually “waved” the other officer off when he attempted to cuff the guy), for some reason, he (evidently) felt that he had to have the suspect “out” before he rolled him over (which was where he should have been placed to begin with) to “hand-cuff” him.

Though this kid “sloughed” his way through it (and eventually accomplished his goal), his control and submission methods (IMO) were executed “sloppily” and his (non-existent) “back-up” didn't provide any manner of effective assistance.

"If your breakin' a sweat, your doin' something wrong"

(If your really Bored)

http://ryute.blogspot.com