2012 Martial Arts Goals

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you be starting a new thread for 2013 goals?

Hmm goals...

Well There will be three gradings between now and this time next year, so hopefully will manage to get through them unscathed. If I do then I'll be in the intermediate class. So first goal, get into intermediate class.

Sparring - I'd like to start regularly attending sparring classes.

Fitness - Would like to drop some weight, or at least turn what I currently have into muscle. Currently 12st12 (76.9kgs) I refuse to go over 13st!

Work on my balance for kicks, I guess this will come with time and practice, but worth mentionning.

Dont allow Karate to become a chore and keep enjoying.

Wado

I did successfully test for official rank in my current style, passing the test for Nikkyu in Shorin-Ryu, so I met that goal! Unfortunately, a double hernia repair put my amateur MMA debut on hold and my injuries still didn't really heal, so I didn't get those two things accomplished. I'm looking at taking my medicals for the athletic commission this January or February so I can fight next year, though!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Generic lose weight get fitter resolution plus keep working on my flexibility as I saw some improvement this year.

Also want to work on my forms for competition. Usually place 3rd but can't seem to just go one better and move up to 2nd.

Got to improve my running too. Being hounded to do the local half marathon as my school enters a team every year. Someone from the club went from running no miles a week to completing the whole thing so the rest of us are being badgered into doing the same as it'll be "good for us". So maybe I'll do it or I might not :P want to increase my run distance anyway so that's what I want to work on.

Roll on 2012

Well haven't lost weight as such, just rearranged it :P Been working out more and doing more weight training so the fat is being replaced by muscle - least that's what I'm going to tell people!! I've not done much with my flexibility other than maintain it so I'll call that a goal failed :(

Tournament-wise I just haven't been doing them this year. I did one in March but didn't even place in the forms division and got another 3rd place in June. But I'm not too bothered as I did better in the other disciplines (sparring and breaking).

WRT to the running, after messing around for most of the year, I started properly in October with a TKD buddy of mine and so far we've gone from couch to doing 4.5 miles twice a week. I foolishly agreed to do the 1/2 marathon in May so have planned to try to gradually add in an extra mile each month until I'm comfortably at around 9-10 miles. In the interim, there's a 6 mile (10 km) cross country run I'm signed up for on Dec 30th.

Not a bad year but 2013 can be better :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Get at least 2 of my students through their Shodan (1st Dan) Blackbelts.

Grade my Assistant Instructor through his next Level.

Take my own promotion grading with some senior Grades I know.

Increase my student base/open a new dojo in another area.

And be a good Christian, Amen

Got 2 students to Shodan ;)

Got my Assistant Instructor to Nidan :)

Graded myself via Senior graded Yudansha ;)

Students base has remained the same some have come some have gone :(

Remained a good Christian ;)

Edited by Dobbersky

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I didn't post my resolutions on here, but my resolution was to keep up the diet I had already started (I started the day after Halloween-- I tell everyone it was my "Halloween Resolution"). I actually did it. It's weird-- this is the first New Years I'm looking back on last year's resolution having actually accomplished it and being satisfied with what I accomplished. It's a good feeling.

BTW-- If anyone's curious, I'm down over 70 pounds and almost 10 inches off my waist (over 10 inches off my hips) since last Halloween and still steadily dropping.

I didn't post my resolutions on here, but my resolution was to keep up the diet I had already started (I started the day after Halloween-- I tell everyone it was my "Halloween Resolution"). I actually did it. It's weird-- this is the first New Years I'm looking back on last year's resolution having actually accomplished it and being satisfied with what I accomplished. It's a good feeling.

BTW-- If anyone's curious, I'm down over 70 pounds and almost 10 inches off my waist (over 10 inches off my hips) since last Halloween and still steadily dropping.

That is awesome!

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

That is awesome!

Yes...that is awesome...keep it up!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!