• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

2012 Martial Arts Goals

I'd like to compete and place in Yudansha Kata and Kumite at a loacal level. I haven't competed since I was 17 (I'm 31 this year). Have a firm Grasp of the bunkai of all 8 open hand Isshinryu Kata. Lay the ground work for opening my own Dojo.

"The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of character of its participants."(Master Gichin Funakoshi)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Okinawan-Karate-Do/320221624676804

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've stopped really training on a regular basis up til about a few months ago. As such, I've been a first dan for over a decade...this year I'm adding a stripe. :) Plus I want to hit three tournaments this year. Probably all going to be later this year.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Continue my training towards my Nidan in Shotokan karate and to start/continue my new studies in Tang Soo Do.

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

As last year I want to improve on my BJJ game and tighten things up. Continue the success with my teaching in the school my brother and myself run. An compete in atleast one BJJ tourement and do well.

• 7 months later...
It's so hard to delineate training goals when you're nursing a back injury. :lol:

Still, after hobbling better today than yesterday I got myself to work and came up with the following:

1) Two tournies this year. A third would be a bonus. One an IBJJF event.

2) Medal in one of the smaller ones. Yeah, I took a gold last year, but promotion halfway thru the year will set you back on a repeat effort.

3) A couple of stripes on the purple.

4) Develop my deep half position to a usable pattern for me

5) Average 2 classes at my academy per week and another two BJJ specific workouts at home in the week as well. 1 lift/ run day per week as well to augment. This would last thru the year.

6) Push a serious training camp effort out from Jan 1 to the IBJJF on March 3. Augment class w/ near daily cardio and/ or lifting/ stretching. Diet included.

Okay, it's written down. Let's see how well I do this time next year.

:)

Okay, now that we're into December and the training cycle for the year is winding down as far as completions go, I thought it might be fun to take a look back and see how we did. Reading thru the thread, I know several people that responded met at least some of their goals.

For me, here we go:

1) Met. Got precisely two in, one an IBJJF.

2) Ditto. Resulted in a gold in a division and the absolute at the Chicago S7.

3) Yes. In fact, I was awarded my Brown Belt in BJJ last month.

4) Utter failure on this one. Even though I can pass thru the position, I am no closer to truly making it part of my game now than I was a year ago.

5) Class time met and actually exceeded. I was consistent with three with the not unheard of four times per week. On part b. Well, not so good.

6) This actually got met. On the down side, it's too long of a sustained training camp for my body these days. I found that I really needed to start much later with any serious efforts to ramp up. The diet was fine, that could stay the same. But I was pretty beat down by the time I hit March.

So mixed results, but I feel really good about the ones I met. And I learned a lot from the ones I didn't. Mostly. The deep half guard just continues to elude me :lol:

So, how did it go for everyone else?

Good call remembering to bring this up, Alex. Congrats on what you accomplished.

Sorry to hear that, MasterPain.

Patrick

I hope that in 2012 I can test for my 4th dan. In order to do that, I need to get more consistent in practicing at home and making regular classes. I'll need to drag my butt off the couch and work on forms and one-steps, curriculum stuff, and also try to work myself up to spar better.

I also hope to get my lifts up in the gym so that I can make 1000 lbs between bench, squat, and dead lift 1RMs.

Missed both goals. But, with work, family life being busy, and an arm injury late in the year, it slowed things down. But, enough excuses.

I am now gearing up for my testing, and I think I will try to test in March of 2013. I am practicing all of my required material now, and am going to work in some days for just conditioning type stuff.

As for the weights, I was getting closer, but the arm injury ended all that. So, the testing first, and we'll take things one at a time after that falls in.