• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

2012 Martial Arts Goals

Okay, so in light of the upcoming year, and the positive responses off of the 2011 thread, I thought we should try it again. What are your goals for martial arts training in 2012?

I've got some thinking to do, so I'll be back soon.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My goals are pretty much the same as last year, since I wasn't able to accomplish them--earn official rank in my current style (rather than carry-over rank from my similar previous style) and spar more. My dojo is hosting an open sparring event this spring, so that should help the sparring, and after the recent Shorinkan Camp my Sensei mentioned me competing in the Camp Tournament in "whatever division I happen to be in at the time" (there are only two divisions--mudansha and yudansha) so I'm a little scared that I may test this next year and I don't know what rank I would be testing for!

Aside from those things, I think I would just like to heal up from my current injuries (stress fractured finger and foot) and keep on training and learning. I may also try my hand at an amateur MMA fight sometime this year or next.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Heal from my injuries, strengthen my joints so that I have a better chance at not being re-injured, get better at the basics, and hopefully by the end of the year be seriously training for full contact bareknuckle knockdown tournament fighting.

OH, and not get in trouble as much. Haha. Not sure if that one is a realistic goal, however.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

My goals for 2012:

Continue progressing in Bujin Bugei Jutsu

With the possibility looming that i may find myself in law inforcement halfway through next year i need to start focusing on police tactics, weapon retention, and firearm proficiency, etc.

Actually learn how to properly implement the de la riva guard.

Start grappling more instead of just bludgeoning each other.

Prepare for zombies by building mobile death wagon. :D

I'm going to get serious about conditioning so I can compete. I've started lifting and pushing the cardio harder already. I just need to work on the diet. At least a grappling tournament or two. Maybe another mma fight. We need to bring back Pride FC style entrances, because cage fights are better with cosplay.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I hope that in 2012 I can test for my 4th dan. In order to do that, I need to get more consistent in practicing at home and making regular classes. I'll need to drag my butt off the couch and work on forms and one-steps, curriculum stuff, and also try to work myself up to spar better.

I also hope to get my lifts up in the gym so that I can make 1000 lbs between bench, squat, and dead lift 1RMs.

I will continue with my strenght and conditioning. I've been seeing some good gains in both. I hope to be able to test for my Shorin Ryu black belt and JiuJitsu Blue belt. Keep on learning in both areas and mainly have a good time doing both. 2011 was a crappy year with a loss of a brother and mother having a stroke to name a few. So, I'm ready to get 2012 rockin and rollin.

It's so hard to delineate training goals when you're nursing a back injury. :lol:

Still, after hobbling better today than yesterday I got myself to work and came up with the following:

1) Two tournies this year. A third would be a bonus. One an IBJJF event.

2) Medal in one of the smaller ones. Yeah, I took a gold last year, but promotion halfway thru the year will set you back on a repeat effort.

3) A couple of stripes on the purple.

4) Develop my deep half position to a usable pattern for me

5) Average 2 classes at my academy per week and another two BJJ specific workouts at home in the week as well. 1 lift/ run day per week as well to augment. This would last thru the year.

6) Push a serious training camp effort out from Jan 1 to the IBJJF on March 3. Augment class w/ near daily cardio and/ or lifting/ stretching. Diet included.

Okay, it's written down. Let's see how well I do this time next year.

:)

It's so hard to delineate training goals when you're nursing a back injury. :lol:

:)

What happened? Are you well enough to train with us on the 23rd? I'll be sad if you don't feel up to rolling with a fat guy.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Old guy back lock up is all after a day of rolling, that's all :lol: .

I'm well on the way to recovery. I should be great by the time our little get together rolls around. I'm actually being smart about letting it heal, so that's light years from where I've been before.