• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wishlist

I have a a bunch of questions running through my mind about Dojo design and set up right now. I am hoping to post them one at a time for discussion,

First one:

Setting up a location of your own for the first time, what equipment would you consider essential. Assuming you have a reasonable budget for it.

I know styles will vary, but curious to see other's thoughts.

UNSCARED

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Big floor, stereo, instruments, high ceiling, hand targets, kicking shields, folding chairs, pool noodle (preferably wrapped around plastic pipe or similar to give it a little more stiffness), a couple of crash mats for certain exercises, tripod, video camera, push broom, dust mop, mirrored walls if possible, a mat to put up/hang against one section of wall.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Essentials for a new dojo? As far as the martial arts equipment goes, I would say floor mats, hand pads, kicking shields, a makiwara and a heavy bag. There are tons of things you need, otherwise, like cleaning supplies and places to sit and office supplies, but I'm guessing that isn't what you're asking about?

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Mats, mats, and more mats

Heavy bags

Video equipment

Focus mitts

Sparring gear

Marcelo Garcia to instruct!!!

Note: The above is not essential equipment but this is just what i would like for my dream training area.

For the first 10 years or so that I taught, I was just thankful to have SPACE to teach a class, let alone any equipment. Most of the places I taught wouldn't allow us to hang a heavy bag and money was tight for everybody (late 70's).

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I'd like to have a few kicking shields, some hand targets, a Wavemaster freestanding bag, and just floor space. Mats and what not can come later, as time goes by, and money increases.

Kinda depends on your budget and what you're doing. Can get away with no mats if you're only doing standup and you don't need anything else to train. Kick shields and focus pads would probably be on my "essentials" list, along with a stereo. Other than that... If I had the money, I'd also invest in rebreakable boards and a stand to hold them as breaking is a big part of my style.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Thanks everyone. I just was curious to see how instructor's opinion of essential may vary.

I love karate from a business aspect because you really can teach without any expenses so long as you have open space.

Since I teach at multiple locations I am limited to what can fit in the back of the car. I do not need anything (tonight we didn't use any tools for class), but in the car I keep a few shields, two small shields, two sets of focus mitts, a paddle, sparring gear, boxing gloves, grappling gloves, a few blockers, a few cones, and a kettlebell. (not to mention a few gi tops for where I am teaching or training on a given day).

UNSCARED

I see where you're coming from given your situation.

When I think wish list I have a few items that come to mind:

-fully matted floor

-matted walls to at least a few feet off the floor

-focus mits

-kick shields

-mt pads

-some loaner sparring gear

(heck, this will be my old stuff, I"m buying new gear if I'm opening)

-loaner gi tops for BJJ

-blauer contact suit

-multi purpose bag station

-handful of redguns and training knives and some sticks