• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So ive been doing a lot of looking online how to make my own mats.... They all involve tarps and altho not expensive... I need portablility and suuuper minimal costs... I only need like 7x7 mat.. nothin big.. how should i go abt it? Thx!

"ok, well i must warn you, im an orange belt on karateforums!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You might want to just get enough jig saw mats, like the ones you can buy at a Wal Mart will even do, and put them together to make 7x7. For that kind of coverage they can't cost much more than tarping and whatever else the recipe is calling for.

They'll probably work better too. As for portability, just pop them apart and throw them in a bag and you're good. Might be worth a look.

Bear in mind, they won't be the greatest thing for absorbing impact, but will again, be as good if not better than any home brew job. They will be adequate for working ground work as I've been on this kind of floor in a friends garage before. Not horrible. I wouldn't take down on them however. Ever.

see, i took a look at those.. its like 20$ to cover what i need.. maybe.. idk if it was 20 for a set of 10 or 20 for 1... cuz i looked online and it said it was a set but well idk haha. anywho, ik which ones you mean, and have seen em at walmart as well.. never really thought abt those tho... if i layered em and and a second layer of it of the same material, would that be good enough for taking a fall do you think?

"ok, well i must warn you, im an orange belt on karateforums!"

I think between the closed foam structure of the mats and the lack of thickness, you'd be in a world of hurt in short order, even doubled. There just isn't enough give.

The nice thing about the jigsaw mats is you can order them one or two at a time, to spread the cost out over time. But I've been on jigsaw mats; would they offer enough cushion for judo throwing?

The nice thing about the jigsaw mats is you can order them one or two at a time, to spread the cost out over time. But I've been on jigsaw mats; would they offer enough cushion for judo throwing?

They make them specifically for throwing arts now.

http://www.greatmats.com/products/martial-arts-mats-judo.php

I've been on them and they're as nice as any tatami I've trained on.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."