• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I’m considering Brazilian Jui-Jitsu.

Tallgeese is absolutley right there's nothing wrong with a brown belt instructor. when I started with my ibstructor he was a brown belt. And you may have to be willing to drive some as he also stated. Personally I drive just over an hour each way to train and with the caliber of training I can get it's well worth it. But looks like you have the right idea on your research. Good luck and keep us posted.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No forms to speak of.

There are drills you'll be doing your entire career to improve basic and core movements, but not kata as you are thinking of it. For example, jits guys are forever working shirmping movements up and down the mats, circles, reverse, you name it, we're drilling shrimping (or ebi's) our whole career. It's just a movement that you can't get bored of drilling if you're going to last. But there is no preset technique like you're used to in kata.

Glad to hear you've got some prospects.

We have what are considered flow drills. But when you start progressing you may be asked for combinations of technique to get to a specific sub and thats about it. But no kata like in traditional martial arts. And you will forever be doing the 3 brothers drill.

And testing will vary from school to school as well. Some have a formal test. Some have promotional rites at seminars and such when vips from a group are in. Others just toss you a belt when you're ready. Don't let the informality bother you, belt rank given from legit schools in BJJ is ALWAYS earned and there is never a question.

Stripes on belts tend to be given very informally during class.

On a related note, here's a pretty good article I stumbled across a while back that's actually pretty good on the subject of just taking up a BJJ class:

http://jiujitsu-360.blogspot.com/2011/12/ten-tips-to-survive-your-first-year-in.html

It totally agree with tallgeese. As a current black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu I began teaching others out of necessity so that I could even have a training partner. This was way back in 1994 in North Carolina. Back then you were considered advanced at blue belt. I received a black belt in tae kwon do and karate and then started taking up Wing Chun Kung Fu. Our instructor moved away after a year and that was when UFC just started. I was hooked ever since. Back then I would have to drive to other states just to learn. Learning directly from the Gracies was incredible.

There are so many options now as the art of BJJ has spread drastically over the last 15 years. Blue light87 be sure to check out academies personally as I'm sure you will. Ask them who they're associated with. There are many qualified instructors who may have trained under some of the Gracies (or Machados) directly or someone who was directly under a Gracie.

You tend to find less options in shear number of instructors/academies in more rural areas. Just be sure to keep in mind what kind of emphasis you are looking for in a school. Some schools have a strong slant toward sport technique, some towards self defense, and some (as I try to do) try to encompass both.