• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I’m considering Brazilian Jui-Jitsu.

I been doing Taekwondo since 2005 and will test for my 2nd degree in April 2012.I’m considering taking up Jui-Jitsu because I sparred a mma friend who used jui-jitsu to lock me on the ground. I couldn’t do anything to get out. The experience thrilled me to learn more about the art. As stated, I’m doing Taekwondo and love it and want to take up jui-jitsu as well. The issues are 1. Time management. Working retail,college,and Taekwondo keep me busy…2. Do you think it would corrupt my Taekwondo performance picking up another martial art?…any advice will go appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First of all, welcome to the forums!

As to your questions, the second is the easiest to deal with. No, training in BJJ will in no way corrupt your current art. Jiu jitsu is so radically different than TKD you won't have any contradictory philosophy or methodology. In fact, you've spotted a whole in your response patterns and have already seen a method of dealing with it. That's not corruption, it's making you a more well rounded fighter.

The time management question is harder. Only you can determine if you can make the time. All I can say, after years and years in several different arts and training facilities is that you will not be disappointed. It will influence the way you train and think about everything you've done to date. And that's a good thing all around.

Check the credentials of the schools near you and give it a trial go. See if you like it enough to restructure your priorities. My guess if that if you liked working with your friend, you'll like being at an academy full time. It will be a bit different than your experiences in trad arts. It's less formal, a more laid back vibe, and more live training. This has all kinds of benefits and is all sorts of addicting.

Keep us posted on your findings and ask away with any questions you have.

Go for it. Even one class a week will, over time, improve your skills quite drastically. It's wonderful to me to see that you realized you needed to learn the art, rather than scoffing at your loss. If you allow that mindset to be applied to your BJJ, you will gain skill by leaps and bounds. Egoless training is the way to get really good.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Right. Pure grappling (eg BJJ)+pure striking (eg TKD, boxing, etc.) art is the absolute best combo in terms of avoiding confusion. No worry about confusion because one art is virtually mute about how to deal with responses in the circumstances that the other is best at, and vice versa. The only thing to watch for is that you will become aware of ways to change ranges to the range where you are not training in in a given venue.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Taking up BJJ would not "corrupt" your TKD knowledge or skill at all. If anything, you'll begin to figure out where and how you can mingle the two together.

I'm in the same boat you are, being a TKD practitioner, with no ability to fight on the ground. I've spent some time at a DT club that does considerable ground work, but not enough to get too good at anything, yet. One of the problems I have is time management, much like yourself. Work full-time (rotating shift work, no less), family/kids who do sports, etc, makes it all tough.

What I would do, is by a datebook or calendar that you can carry with you for, say, two weeks. Write down everything you do in your day in the time slots appropriate in the datebook. At the end of two weeks, look at what all you do, see what you can cut out, and then see when you can work in your new BJJ time. Let us know how it all goes.

Go for it! I do Kenpo and BJJ. It will not corupt you TKD. As for the time management if you really want to do it you'll figure it out. I do all you mentioned but the college but you insert child and running a martial arts school. I only do BJJ one day a week. I do my class in the morning which helps out greatly. But the BJJ will only complement you TKD. It sometimes takes a moment like you had to make people realize they need both a stand up and ground game.

Be sure to check out as many schools as possible watch the instuctors teach class to see who you like the most.I spent weeks calling, emailing, and watching instructors before settling with my current instructor. Some people come off diffrently in person than over the phone or through an email. Do your research. But most importantly when you find that school enjoy.

I was in your position years ago as a second degree in kenpo. I've pick up a few styles of jui-jitsu including BJJ. They all complemented and enhanced my kenpo. Moreover, I love the feeling a being a white belt again. Go for it! You'll be glad you did.

The mission of my blog is to explore the connection between the skills learned in the dojo as a student of the martial arts and the skills that lead to a successful life. https://www.lifeskillsfromthedojo.com

https://www.facebook.com/lifeskillsfromthedojo

Come over to the darkside! I'd wrestled before I began my stand up training, and have dabbled in ground work for years. We only really got serious a couple of years back, and Pittbull was part of that. The two arts are so diametrically opposed that you won't be getting any chocolate in your peanut butter. Like others have said, scout your schools. Find a good instructor and a good program and enjoy.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Thank you all for the advice .It makes me that much more enthusiastic to learn Jujitsu. I’m making it my goal starting next year to look around jujitsu academies and try out the classes. I will keep posted on my new findings. I’ve done some online research and found that schools under Gracie are very much respected since the name ties to the creator of Brazilian Jujitsu. Is it common to find Gracie Jujitsu throughout the states?

It's becoming more common. However, there are plenty of good lineages out there that are not Gracie schools per say. Everyone can take their lineage back to the the Gracie family that does BJJ, but some have splintered off to their own associations, ect. Check out where each comes from while you're looking at the classes.

Depending where you're located, you might have plenty of academies around you. Conversely, there are still a lot of locations where they are few and far between. My home area, in downstate IL, had NO BJJ schools within even remote driving distance when UFC 1 hit. It's slightly better now, but realistically, I think you're looking at a two hour drive to go to a pure BJJ academy from there.

On this note, don't be surprised if you find schools out there with brown or even purple belts teaching. This has not been uncommon in the history of BJJ, especially here in the states. There are still areas where you'll see it. Not everywhere has a Chicago with multiple black belt instructors and multiple academies.

I was just visiting a Robson Moura affiliate in the central part of the state where a purple belt was the owner/ lead instructor (excellent guy by the way with great skills). It happens and it is not the red flag that you'd expect. Most individuals out of trad arts are initially put off by this, but brown is an advanced rank in BJJ. Purple is getting there. Don't consider it bad news if that's the case where you are.

Just see who he's affiliated under and what the ranking procedure is. That's all. Again, glad to hear that you're excited about it. Keep us posted on the hunt or what schools you're looking at.