judobrah

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learn in short increments. Most kata include a few changes in direction. Do 1 section at a time. Practice the movements until the first time you turn around several time, until it's easy. Then practice up to the second change of direction. Do this until you can go through the whole kata.

I agree. Do this. Learning forms in segments has always been the way I have done it, and it works better than anything, for me, anyways.

One viewing kata can draw many different point of views, both pros and cons of kata. I can see how someone would view kata as a strange "dance", and this is from just watching any kata from the surface.

Digging deeper in kata, one can hopefully see the value of kata within its "applications"/Bunkai. One can be a proponent for or against kata for many reasons, but I think if one would give kata more than a chance, they might see things that they might've not imagined, yet effective.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

You mentioned you are a Shito Ryu student. What specific kata are you expected to learn that you are having trouble with, and what branch of Shito Ryu do you do? (Shito-kai, Seito Shito Ryu, Shukokai, Hayashi-ha, Motobu-ha).

I began my training in Shito Ryu 35 years ago, have taught for many, and may be able to offer some advice.

• 3 weeks later...