• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

UFC 140

GaryMo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think if Machida fights smart he can defeat Jones. Yes Michida has an orthidox style but Jones is very athletic and explosive. Jones' explosiveness with be what will give Machida problems but on the other hand if Machida can get Jones to chase him he may have the advantage. I'm hoping for Lyoto to win because of the traditional karate background. I see these two as each others biggest test.

SPOILERS!!!!!

Well, from what I heard and saw apparently Machida was sick going into the fight (you could tell by looking at him before the fight that he didn't feel good). Even with that, he dominated the first round! I was very happy to see him countering Jones and rocking him several times because even I can see the holes in Jones's striking game while he's fighting, so I was thrilled to see Machida capitalize on it. By the end of the first round you could see that Jones was actually scared and when his coaches were telling him what to do he still had a look on his face like "that won't work". I think that after that he started to panic and switched to grappling since he wasn't able to actually use his weird striking to his advantage. I think this is where Machida's illness really hit him, because he just didn't look like he had the strength to actually grapple. Jones took Machida down and opened up his forehead with an elbow and it was all downhill for Machida from there, sadly. I have to give him props for fighting that last choke until he passed out, though--he wasn't giving up! Especially considering that most humans aren't even capable of doing a choke like that because our arms aren't long enough.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I saw the entire fight. Jones was getting hammered in the 1st round when trying to exchange strikes. You can tell that they weren't even in the same league. Jone's strikes weren't even making contact with blocks, he was hitting air. And Machida clearly hurted Jones with a punch to the head & kicks to the body. By the end of the round, Jone's corner told him to calm down several times as they sense Jones panicking.

In the 2nd round, Jones took Machida down almost with ease. Jones has too much leverage because of his height, upperbody strenght and wrestling skills. Later Jones caught Machida on the chin, then was all over him. And ended the fight with a standing strangulation.

Machida's Karate was sound. But he didn't have enough leverage and strength to handle Jone's wrestling skills. Wrestlers really know how to maximize the use of their body weight.

I was actually surprised at the ineffectiveness of Jones striking.

On another day I still think Machida has the style to defeat Jones, other than Machida I can't see anybody else defeating him apart from himself.

I'm surprised Machida didn't put up more of a fight when on the floor, especially as he's a black belt in BJJ. However, Jones is very effective from top position with elbows and that showed when he opened up a huge cut on Machida's forehead.

As for the choke, Machida certainly wasn't going to tap was he!

Also a shame Nogueira didn't tap when face with the kimura. A little lost pride would be a much better outcome than arm and elbow surgery!

I'm still thinking of the moment his arm snapped!

Also a shame Nogueira didn't tap when face with the kimura. A little lost pride would be a much better outcome than arm and elbow surgery!

Story and photos:

http://jiujitsusweep.com/articles/antonio-minotauro-nogueira-broken-arm-ufc-140/

On another day I still think Machida has the style to defeat Jones, other than Machida I can't see anybody else defeating him apart from himself.

I'm surprised Machida didn't put up more of a fight when on the floor, especially as he's a black belt in BJJ. However, Jones is very effective from top position with elbows and that showed when he opened up a huge cut on Machida's forehead.

As for the choke, Machida certainly wasn't going to tap was he!

It was Tito Ortiz who once said "it's going to be hard to submit me when you're eating my elbows."

It was Tito Ortiz who once said "it's going to be hard to submit me when you're eating my elbows."

Whilst we're on the subject of Tito - It's sad to see his demise. I think he grabbed a lucky sub against Ryan Bader then two back-to-back losses and all that after 5 years without a win makes us remember him for the wrong reasons. Time to give up now Tito before you get hurt.

Whilst we're on the subject of Tito - It's sad to see his demise. I think he grabbed a lucky sub against Ryan Bader then two back-to-back losses and all that after 5 years without a win makes us remember him for the wrong reasons. Time to give up now Tito before you get hurt.

I wonder what is the condition of Tito's right rib cage. Machida kneed him there a couple of fights ago and he went down. In his last fight, I think that Tito was hit in the same spot and went limp. In this fight, Little Nog was aiming for the same spot. But Nog was punching with his weaker hand since Nog is a southpaw.

The look on Tito's face was interesting. That's the most pain I've seen any fighter display in years.

[quoteI wonder what is the condition of Tito's right rib cage. Machida kneed him there a couple of fights ago and he went down. In his last fight, I think that Tito was hit in the same spot and went limp. In this fight, Little Nog was aiming for the same spot. But Nog was punching with his weaker hand since Nog is a southpaw.

The look on Tito's face was interesting. That's the most pain I've seen any fighter display in years.

If I remember correctly In the Machida/Ortiz fight the the knee land on Tito's right side. Thus socking the liver if Nog hit the same spot again the liver was hit. Now if you've never took a good liver shot you are missing the experince of the body trying to shut down to protect its self. Or two he is getting soft in the body and can't take the shots anymore.